Suggestions for benchmark ball layout please?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Joeyjoejo
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 1/4 up
Speed: 16mph
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 55

Suggestions for benchmark ball layout please?

Post by Joeyjoejo »

Looking for some thoughts on a benchmark ball layout based on my specs.

Thanks!
Power stroker, RH, 5 out 1/4 up, 15.5 MPH (at monitor), 392 RPM, AT 10*, AR 55*

When in doubt, apply the K.I.S.S. method: Keep It Simple Stupid!
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Suggestions for benchmark ball layout please?

Post by EricHartwell »

Joeyjoejo wrote:Looking for some thoughts on a benchmark ball layout based on my specs.

Thanks!
You are a little bit rev dominant with low Tilt.
110* Total, 2:1 Ratio
Asymmetrical Benchmark ....... 75-3.25-35
Symmetrical Benchmark ........ 80-4.25-30
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Joeyjoejo

Post by Joeyjoejo »

Thanks Mr. Hartwell!

Also I was thinking about a Code Red to compliment a Hy-Road (70X4.25X30) Or maybe even a pin in 2nd Hy-Road. What are your thoughts on those layouts?

EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Joeyjoejo wrote:Thanks Mr. Hartwell!

Also I was thinking about a Code Red to compliment a Hy-Road (70X4.25X30) Or maybe even a pin in 2nd Hy-Road. What are your thoughts on those layouts?
The HyRoad drilled 70-4.25-30 is your Symmetrical Benchmark. To Compliment it I suggest a Control layout on the Code Red 75-3.25-55.
If you go with a 2nd HyRoad pin in the Ring finger 80-4.5-55 and use surface changes to differentiate the two.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
gunso

Post by gunso »

EricHartwell wrote: The HyRoad drilled 70-4.25-30 is your Symmetrical Benchmark. To Compliment it I suggest a Control layout on the Code Red 75-3.25-55.
If you go with a 2nd HyRoad pin in the Ring finger 80-4.5-55 and use surface changes to differentiate the two.
aren't you putting the hyroad and code red closer to each other since they have the same cover? the weak drilling angle of the code red along with a "more symmetrical" drilling with the 55 val angle compares to the "more assymetrical" drilling of the code red?

I actually think those drillings would work very well for those 2 balls. I have both of them and I think with surface on the code red it would work very well as a smoother option on the fresh while you could swing the hyroad a bit more when it has friction. just wondering about the thought process for making the assymetrical more symmetrical and the symmetrical more asymmetrical
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

gunso wrote:
aren't you putting the hyroad and code red closer to each other since they have the same cover? the weak drilling angle of the code red along with a "more symmetrical" drilling with the 55 val angle compares to the "more assymetrical" drilling of the code red?

I actually think those drillings would work very well for those 2 balls. I have both of them and I think with surface on the code red it would work very well as a smoother option on the fresh while you could swing the hyroad a bit more when it has friction. just wondering about the thought process for making the assymetrical more symmetrical and the symmetrical more asymmetrical
My thought process...
Joey asked for a layout for a Code Red to Compliment an existing HyRoad 70X4.25X30 or he might get another Hyroad. I was Not suggesting that he Drill up Both of them as Control. I gave layouts for either one to be his Control Piece.

I wasn't thinking about the Asymmetry/Symmetry of the drillings. I was thinking about how to Compliment the existing HyRoad. I am a fan of the Benchmark/Control ball combination.

I like the idea of thee Code Red as the Compliment. The asymmetrical core will help differentiate the ball motion from the HyRoad.

Utilizing the Same Coverstock as you mentioned puts a lot of importance on the surface prep to cover a wider range of conditions.
Another option is to use a low flare layout 90-2.25-40 on the Code Red to further distance it from the Benchmark HyRoad.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
bfweld

Post by bfweld »

Joeyjoejo- do you run into any issues with your current Hyroad? Like burns up and leaves 10's or you aren't able to move in with it as the lane changes...

If not then I'd also suggest a control ball...but maybe not on the Code red. I'd look at the Dare devil trick(for a slightly stronger ball then the hyroad) or the IQ tour(for a ball about the same overall strength).
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
Joeyjoejo

Post by Joeyjoejo »

bfweld wrote:Joeyjoejo- do you run into any issues with your current Hyroad? Like burns up and leaves 10's or you aren't able to move in with it as the lane changes...

If not then I'd also suggest a control ball...but maybe not on the Code red. I'd look at the Dare devil trick(for a slightly stronger ball then the hyroad) or the IQ tour(for a ball about the same overall strength).
No problems. The Hy-Road is the most versitile ball I've had. If I could only bowl with one ball that would be it. I love both the Trick and IQ solid but right now I have two solids: Sure Lock and Fight and am happy with them. For pearls I have a Truth and a Ridiculous. I'd like to round out the arsenal with a second stronger hybrid and hard hitting is my main requirement. The Code Red seems like the last peice of the puzzle but I'm open to suggestions.

bfweld

Post by bfweld »

Alright, I assumed maybe your hyroad was one of just a couple balls. So since you are looking for a strong hybrid to work with your hyroad...which do you think would best fit into your arsenal, a later quicker reaction then the hyroad or an early reaction? And would you prefer an asym or sym?
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
Joeyjoejo

Post by Joeyjoejo »

Earlier. As far as symmetry, hitting power is most important so anything goes.

bfweld

Post by bfweld »

Ok, well everything I've seen and heard about the code red is that it is naturally an earlier reacting ball so that fits what you are looking for.

A few other options you could take a look at- Motiv Primal rage remix, Radical Cyclops, Dv8 vandal destroy and Radical Quick fix

Motiv primal rage remix- I've seen this ball in use quite a bit, and I'm a fan of it, a guy I bowl with(lower speed/rev guy) has one drilled pin in ring with CG roughly "stacked" and it works pretty well for him...so with your stats I think a control drilling on this ball could be another good option...only thing is I believe it may be a bit stronger cover wise then the R2S, so that's up to you if that could be good or not.

Radical Cyclops- I've heard nothing but good things about this ball and it's continuation and carry percentage, I just don't know how it's length compares to the hyroad...but that can be changed with surface.

Dv8 Vandal destroy- I haven't heard anything specifically about this ball but it is one of the few mid-high performance asym hybrids.

Radical Quick fix- This isn't technically considered a hybrid as radical uses additives other than pearls to get the same length/reaction you typically see from hybrid coverstocks. So it does have more length and a quicker reaction than you'd expect from from a solid. Control drilling on this ball should give you a strong sym with a smooth continuous reaction with some length.
PAP 5x1 1/8
15.5mph off hand
260-270rev rate
7* tilt
70* rotation
Joeyjoejo

Post by Joeyjoejo »

EricHartwell wrote: The HyRoad drilled 70-4.25-30 is your Symmetrical Benchmark. To Compliment it I suggest a Control layout on the Code Red 75-3.25-55.
Mr. Hartwell, this 75-3.25-55 layout will end up being pin down based on my span/PAP. Does that sound right? If so suggestions on OOB pin and top weight?

EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Joeyjoejo wrote:
Mr. Hartwell, this 75-3.25-55 layout will end up being pin down based on my span/PAP. Does that sound right? If so suggestions on OOB pin and top weight?
Yes the pin ill be just below and right of the ring finger.
2-2.5" pin to Cg and 2oz top weight. I would expect some side weight may need to be removed, this should give you balance hole options.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand