anybody use a conventional grip ball as a strike ball

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

mrbean
THS Average: 150
Speed: 12-14 mph camera
Heavy Oil Ball: kingpin, awesome finish, grind, crank, super carbide bomb,
Medium Oil Ball: soniq, grind/r, primal rage remix
Light Oil Ball: anything that works
Preferred Company: lane #1

anybody use a conventional grip ball as a strike ball

Post by mrbean »

my dad still has this old Brunswick black diamond and if i bought him a new ball (not anytime soon) would he have to go to finger tip grip to be able to throw a hook or can you do that with a conventional grip ball too?
If I had 6 hours to chop down a tree I would spend the first 4 sharpening the axe.

-Honest Abe
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: anybody use a conventional grip ball as a strike ball

Post by JohnP »

With the proper release you can hook a conventionally drilled ball, but it's easier with a fingertip drill. -- JohnP
pjape

Re: anybody use a conventional grip ball as a strike ball

Post by pjape »

mrbean wrote:my dad still has this old Brunswick black diamond and if i bought him a new ball (not anytime soon) would he have to go to finger tip grip to be able to throw a hook or can you do that with a conventional grip ball too?
Believe it or not, pro bowler Chris Warren has a rev rate of well over 400 (I think 480!), with a conventional grip ball. I always had my doubts about this story, until I asked Chris himself at a tournament just a few years ago, and he confirmed his ball was indeed drilled with a conventional grip. I just shook my head. :lol: