Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Kegel Coaches Workshop

Post by JMerrell »

Kegel Coaches Workshop

While, in Cleveland for Junior Gold, I sat down with longtime friend Del Warren to catch up since we hadn’t seen each other in quite some time.

One of the first things he told me about was one of his longtime goals was about to happen.
Kegel would be hosting a first time ever “Coaching Workshop”.

Del, said that it has been his lifelong desire to have a workshop of this type to actually TEACH coaches how to Coach.

Not a class you attend for several days, listen attentively and pass an exam…….you are an instant coach…..really! My words not his!!!!!

I’ll probably catch a lot of flak for that remark, but most are just a certification process,
not a validation process.

A majority of the coaches who attend these have previous coaching experience, it’s just a marketing experience…another certificate for the wall.

The intent of this workshop was for Kegel to share their coaching philosophy on the 12 most destructive errors and how to fix them. Also, it would be open for discussion of all the participating coaches.

Del told me that if I knew of any coaches in my area who would benefit to send them down as there were still a few openings.

I explained to him that after spending a week in Cleveland, I was going to go home and rest for a week.

The workshop was scheduled for the following week after Junior Gold.

Driving home from Junior Gold, I spent a lot of time thinking about the workshop (passion can do this to you).

In order for me to comfortably recommend the workshop, I decided that I would need to experience it.

I got on-line purchased an airline ticket, made car rental and hotel reservations and three days after arriving home from Junior Gold, I was on the way to Florida.

Hopefully, the post I’ve made over the many years on the Bowling Chat website reflect that I am not egotistical person but just someone who has coached for almost 4 decades and willing to share my learnings right or wrong.

On the flight down there I couldn’t help but wonder if the approximate $1200.00, I just spent was going to be a worthwhile investment.

The class presenter was Ruben Ghiragossian, who just happens to be in the World Coaching Hall of Fame. (that definitely got my attention).

In addition to all the Kegel Master teaching professionals, Alex Gurkov (inventor of the Torch) was also in attendance.

Imagine this…….the entire first day (8 hours) was spent on timing! I found myself frequently sitting there with a big grin on my face, because the information being presented was in line with my style of teaching (the ego bulb may have lit up some on the inside).

As with everything in life, I had several ah hah moments during Ruben’s presentation the first day. Items, I have spent countless hours studying, analyzing again and again looking for solutions for my athletes. It was as if he looked at these items through a different window than I opened.

Bingo, (the giant 1000-watt light bulb went on), I now had the solution to help my athletes reach any goals they are willing to work towards.

At that moment, I was ready to fly home on a private jet, to share this experience with some of my students. I now had the knowledge to help my students achieve personal goals more rapidly. It was as if I had just found the Holy Grail of coaching methodology.

The next couple of days provided additional insight to solving other common errors.

Participation by the class was excellent, as Del stated in his closing remarks…..this workshop exceeded
His expectations.

Email addresses were shared by all, I explained to the class that when I got home I would create a Facebook private group page for the Class of 2017! In order that the group including the Kegel staff could stay in touch.

A venue to continue growing, sharing information, videos of our athletes (perhaps one of the class could help another with a solution).

Back to my thoughts on the flight down there, this was without a doubt the best investment I have ever made in my coaching career. Whenever, the next class is held…..I will be there!

Quote: “To appreciate it….you must experience it!”

Every attendee was given a Kegel shirt, after receiving mine, I stood up and stated……the first thing I am going to do when I get home is have “Class of 2017” embordered on the sleeve.

Check the attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Kegel Coaches Workshop

Post by bowl1820 »

Wow sounds like it was really interesting, Glad you found it so informative. Be nice to see a powerpoint or video overview of some of the presentation.

If it's not secret, What were the 12 most destructive errors? Errors a coach makes or the player?
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Jim: One of the first things he told me about was one of his longtime goals was about to happen.
Kegel would be hosting a first time ever “Coaching Workshop”.

Del, said that it has been his lifelong desire to have a workshop of this type to actually TEACH coaches how to Coach.

Not a class you attend for several days, listen attentively and pass an exam…….you are an instant coach…..really! My words not his!!!!!

I’ll probably catch a lot of flak for that remark, but most are just a certification process,
not a validation process.

A big thanks to Del and all who brought this to fruition.
"Teaching coaches how to coach" is something that has been needed since balls became round. I've often wished a program of developing Coachs/instructors existed. Had that Bern so, I would have been a "driven" student and if qualified, a practitioner.
Hopefully, this workshop will grow and prosper.

Jim, if you catch any flak for your statement, it's totally unfounded. I totally agree with you and Del. I "certified" shortly after Y2K. Though the instructors were terrific, the program was very weak. One could learn more when they got off the lesson plans.
Almost no Lab work. I knew I was not even close to being qualified to instruct. Not wanting to learn at the expense of others, I refrained (Do no harm).

Best of luck to all involved.

Learning never grows old, one never knows enough ...

Kegel, might consider giving attendees some type of hear gear too.
A hat could be worn daily. Anything that could be done to help this take off and fly would be good.
Some YouTube promotion perhaps in the form of testimonials by attendees ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Thanks for the account of the experience Jim. We are in desperate need of this sort of coaching workshop in Australia and I would loved to have been there.

Glad it was such a valuable experience for you and hopefully they will become a regular event that coaches worldwide can be invited to.

Dean
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

What a great experience that would of been to attend. Lucky you Jim. When I read about the Kegel Coaches Workshop it really caught my eye . This would be the been the best way to learn how to teach bowling ever! I've learn more from you guys here and reading books and looking at YouTube videos then taking classes. Not having the time to take off work really put a damper on this year workshop... maybe next year.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

kajmk wrote: Kegel, might consider giving attendees some type of hear gear too. A hat could be worn daily. Anything that could be done to help this take off and fly would be good.
Some YouTube promotion perhaps in the form of testimonials by attendees ...
All great ideas John,
Attendee testimonials were recorded prior to departure. I like the hat idea!

After arriving home I've probably recruited six people definitely interested. Filling another class won't be an issue.

Kegel's initial game plan was to offer this class every two years. Hopefully, the enthusiasm of the Class of 2017 will make them reconsider!
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"