Bought 5 balls for the upcoming season. How would you drill?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Bought 5 balls for the upcoming season. How would you drill?

Post by JJakobsen »

It's time to reinvest fully for me!

All old balls will be thrown away, all drill sheets are gone too!

New PSO, new take on my weird hand, and brand new balls!
I went down to 14lbs due to my hand being weird and painful and calcified. Will go to a physiotherapist this fall.

Anywho, these are the balls I bought:
-Storm Marvel Pearl
-Storm Timeless
-Brunswick Inferno
-Brunswick Inferno (yes, 2 of them, I love it)
-Hammer Widow Spare (for those not aware, this spare ball has a big, asymmetrical core)

At my center, we normally lay down 44' Tokyo (modified a fair bit, easier than the original, but not a lot). In Norway, we have a national league, same game setup as Swedish League, and it is double round-robin. That means that I'll probably go to 9 other centers with varying conditions, this is not including tournaments.

While my specs are in my signature, I expect the PAP to move down and right with the new grip I get. Maybe to around 4-4 1/2 right, 1/2-1 1/4 up.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Bought 5 balls for the upcoming season. How would you dr

Post by EricHartwell »

Normally I am pretty quick at compiling a basic arsenal.

I would like to know what your specs are after the grip change before I recommend a whole arsenal.

Start with one of the Inferno's drilled with the pin in the middle finger 80-4-60.

This is a symmetrical Control layout. It will be on the strong side if your PAP doesn't change.
If your PAP moves away from your grip as you expect, it will reduce the flare and be a longer smoother ball motion.

I would be hoping to get more tilt and some speed to match your rev rate with the grip change.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

I bought all 5 balls already, besides, I was certain I'd get the Marvel Pearl, due to its legacy, Inferno I had two of, I know what I get, and I like that thought.

Now, Timeless is an odd ball, seems to be very versatile. Would be my potato, usable anywhere.

Spare ball is the asymmetrical one as I can and have spared with my hook balls since 2014, and hard and straight even overcomes stuff like 35' Boardwalk with a VG Nano. So this ball will be a hybrid spare and 'No idea what I'm doing' ball. For when the centers uses Sahara as the pattern base.
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

As for my PAP, I know it makes it difficult. But I have seen what happens to my release with proper pitches, and it always went further right and less up, and adding that my current grip is a bit short on purpose, I might even go so far as to say my PAP might go back to where it was on full fingertip back in 2009 (5" right 1" up).

With my current PAP location, it's hard to drill to avoid flares over the thumb hole, and since my choice of spare ball has a core, we won't see a neutral PAP for me, possibly making it deceiving and harder to drill..
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

If your PAP moves all the way to 5 over the Pin to PAP will be about 5.5" with the pin in the Middle finger. Not a bad thing for rev dominant bowler and a high differential ball.

Another "safe" layout would be to put the Pin above the bridge 70-3 9/16-40 from your old PAP.
This will result in in a Stronger more angular ball motion than the pin in the middle finger.
If you end up with a 5 over 1/2 up PAP 75-5.25-40. If you end up in between 4/4.5 over 4.25 and 1 up it would be 72-4 3/8-40.

From your specs at this time Asymmetrical Benchmark 115* total, 3.5:1.5 Ratio, 80-3-35

I would put the Asymmetrical Benchmark layout on the Widow 80-3-35, AFTER you have determined your PAP from drilling the Inferno.

If your specs stay the same I would set your arsenal something like this....
Benchmark ...................... 85-4.25-30 ....................................... Brunswick Inferno
Long and Strong .............. Pin above the bridge Motion Hole .......... Storm Timeless
Control ........................... 85-4.5-50 (Pin in the middle finger)....... Brunswick Inferno
Low flare ........................ 60-5.25-30 ......................................... Storm Marvel Pearl
Asymmetrical Benchmark .. 80-3-30 ............................................. Hammer Widow Spare

If anything changes I will be glad to re-work the numbers.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

Any reason you want the Marvel Pearl weak, Timeless strong and with a MoHole? Say, couldn't one of the Inferno's be weaker? Just asking for the reasoning behind your choices! Not to tell you it should be this way or that way, but to understand the logic so I can use it myself! :)

I will keep you posted with my track!
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

jimmydanny wrote:Any reason you want the Marvel Pearl weak, Timeless strong and with a MoHole? Say, couldn't one of the Inferno's be weaker? Just asking for the reasoning behind your choices! Not to tell you it should be this way or that way, but to understand the logic so I can use it myself! :)

I will keep you posted with my track!
This is just a start. Everything depends on how the first drilling goes. You are in the middle of making grip changes and really all specs are unknown until you have a ball with your new grip. I understand your concern on having enough seperation in the reactions of the Infernos. The pin in the middle finger may very well end up weaker than just control and end up low flare further seperating it from the Benchmark. Then the Marvel would eithr go with a Control layout and or the Timeless. If the Timeless is the ball you want to use more often then put the Control on it and MoHole the Marvel.

You chose balls that are not seperated in strength by very much. You will need to use surface adjustments to seperate them and have a wide range of lane conditions covered.

Have you made a decision on which ball how you will have the first ball drilled?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

EricHartwell wrote: You chose balls that are not seperated in strength by very much. You will need to use surface adjustments to seperate them and have a wide range of lane conditions covered.
That was exactly my thought as well. Certainly the layouts will help, but surface is really going to be key with the pearl syms. Given your rev rate and ball speed, you may get a nice read even with the shinier equipment.

I bowled 6 games on WTBA Tokyo 43' today in a lower friction house. I found I had to point my sanded Guru Master (30x5x35) at the pocket on the fresh, but developed a nice look by game 3. Finished with a new Storm Hyroad (factory, 65x5.25x40) and by then I could move in a bit left of 2nd arrow with some swing room. Slow transition with just me and 2 lefties on the pair.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by JJakobsen »

I have the same rev rate as you, but lower speed, and more importantly I got lower tilt. More ball surface used, more friction, more movement for less for the ball