WTBA Sport patterns are way too easy...

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

WTBA Sport patterns are way too easy...

Post by TonyPR »

...when compared to what the kids bowled on in this year's USBC Junior Gold(2017)...

Enjoy:

https://www.bowl.com/Junior_Gold/Junior ... 7_Results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click the above link and scroll diwn down to "Lane Patterns".
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: WTBA Sport patterns are way too easy...

Post by JMerrell »

Yes, they are tougher than the WTBA patterns. With the exception of Yorktown even the lower rev rate athletes seem to be able to get the ball to face up when playing the track area.....I didn't see this last year.

I thought Yorktown was the tricky one, it was a long pattern but there was a look out around 5-7.
The U20 winner played in for two and was around -50/60, moved out and went plus the last two.

I sent you a pm.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

My daughter competed U12 and from what I saw being able to roll the ball forward was very important. That pattern at Yorktown was her best and she played outside with a 500 grit Hammer Rebel around where you are saying. Also, I noticed the practice played quite different than the rounds... any hypothesis on why?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

TonyPR wrote:My daughter competed U12 and from what I saw being able to roll the ball forward was very important. That pattern at Yorktown was her best and she played outside with a 500 grit Hammer Rebel around where you are saying. Also, I noticed the practice played quite different than the rounds... any hypothesis on why?
Tony, as you know a lot of axis rotation is usually problematic on sport conditions.

One of my athletes was a U15 girl with minimal axis rotation. Her first game each block was typically her best game of the block. With her minimal rotation, she could miss in or go directly at the pocket and it appeared as though she had hold.

We typically spend very little time at the practice rounds, it's the first time the patterns have been run at the centers. Mainly just spend enough time deciding if it's short, medium or long.

Nick has designed the patterns the last two years and both years we've had short, 2 mediums and a long.

I watched the semi-finals of U12 and those girls big enough to be U20.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

I wouldn't exactly say the WTBA patterns are "way too easy" compared to the Junior Gold patterns. The Junior Gold patterns look somewhat tougher on paper (definitely look more interesting) but would love to see an apples to apples comparison between them and the WTBA patterns.

For an apples to oranges comparison, there's a kid who did really well at Junior Gold in the U20 division that bowls our sport shot league that's on the older WTBA patterns. He made the Advancers Round and averaged mid 190's. In our WTBA sport shot league, he averages under 190. Another kid averaged around 184 at Junior Gold and in our WTBA sport shot league he's at 187.

So, while the patterns look tougher on paper than WTBA patterns, perhaps the center's characteristics (IE lane topography, gutter height, etc.) may have allowed the Junior Gold patterns to play not that much tougher if at all when compared to WTBA patterns applied to the lanes in another house? Granted, it's small sample size of comparison that I've presented. I would love to see a true apples to apples comparison. I may ask to see if we can load the Junior Gold patterns into the machine to see how they play compared to the WTBA patterns.
LookingForALeftyWall

Post by LookingForALeftyWall »

I spoke to the 2 kids at length last night and one felt the Junior Gold patterns were harder and the other thought the WTBA patterns in our center play harder. Either way, they're all tough and it's good to see these kids getting challenged with difficult conditions.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Yea, I selected the title for this thread just to get people to read and participate, found it a bit funny but it has some sarcasm into it. In reality WTBA pattern don't have much margin of error, this year we only practiced WTBA patterns in preparation for Jr Gold and that's why our kids play better on those than they did in the Jr Gold ones, plus they can study the graph before hand. I blame myself for not getting last year's patterns to practice on. I already spoke with our head coach so that next year we can get more practice in this type of creative patterns jejeje. Yea, I love to see the kids get challenged because that really pushes them to the next level. Not revealing the patterns is ok because that is what they will see in college, 5 balls ok too.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
Ohiobowlingdad
Preferred Company: EBI

Post by Ohiobowlingdad »

Girls patterns were about a mark a game easier than Indy for the better players. Interesting variety for sure. Good shots seemed to be rewarded for the most part, and the kids with some sport experience seemed to figure out quickly what part of the lane to get to.
ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Post by ICURNVS »

My son bowled a local tournament on WTBA LA. Short and flooded.. that one ate the kids up.

Watched one of the better u20 bowlers go 23x 11x 12x
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....