Surface adjustment for smoother motion?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Surface adjustment for smoother motion?

Post by skfboiler »

I bowl with the Storm Timeless(hybrid cover) which is 1500 grit polished from the factory. Because of my ball speed which is around 13.5 rpm according to the bowling alley, my PSO drill it with the pin above my middle finger. I bowl mainly on the house pattern. I love the ball but it can be a bit overreacting. No matter how far left I get, it goes long like it is supposed to but more often it snaps hard at the break point and I miss the pocket high. I'll switch to my Storm Punch Out(pearl cover)a lower end ball that is a little smoother at the break point. As I'm a relatively new bowler and most of this is me needing to improve lane adjustments. However, I was wondering if I change the surface to 1000 grit, which I know will react sooner but will that smooth the motion some at the backend?
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Surface adjustment for smoother motion?

Post by RobMautner »

The first thing to try is putting a 4000 abralon surface over the polish. If it's still too snappy, lower it to 3000, etc. At some point you may need to start over with less surface (start with 3000) and polish over it, starting again with 4000 over the polish. The idea is to keep the length with the polish and the surface that's under it, and smooth out the reaction with the surface that's over it. Make sense?
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

That was going to be my next question, should I polish. I will try your recommendations. Thanks
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

skfboiler wrote:I bowl with the Storm Timeless(hybrid cover) which is 1500 grit polished from the factory. Because of my ball speed which is around 13.5 rpm according to the bowling alley, my PSO drill it with the pin above my middle finger. I bowl mainly on the house pattern. I love the ball but it can be a bit overreacting. No matter how far left I get, it goes long like it is supposed to but more often it snaps hard at the break point and I miss the pocket high. I'll switch to my Storm Punch Out(pearl cover)a lower end ball that is a little smoother at the break point. As I'm a relatively new bowler and most of this is me needing to improve lane adjustments. However, I was wondering if I change the surface to 1000 grit, which I know will react sooner but will that smooth the motion some at the backend?
Factory 1500 w/polish to 1000 grit is a Huge adjustment.
Check out this video from Storm showing surface changes on the Code Red. Its not the Timeless but it will give you a good idea how the surface affects the shape of the shot.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

I try and stay with 2000 grit no matter what I'm using. That's my sweet spot, you need to find your own sweet spot that fits your game.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

I find that 1000 or 2000 abralon and royal compound smooths the second transition without making the ball too early and chuggy.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Today, I tried 3000 grit, no polish before my open bowling games and that seemed to smooth the ball motion quite a bit. I may try 2000 to experiment what that will do to the ball motion.
Qman

Post by Qman »

skfboiler wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. Today, I tried 3000 grit, no polish before my open bowling games and that seemed to smooth the ball motion quite a bit. I may try 2000 to experiment what that will do to the ball motion.
i don't use polish, depending on your release and the motion you're looking for polish should be the last thing you worry about. You should be more worried about entry angle and speed.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
14-16mph at monitor
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

Qman wrote:I try and stay with 2000 grit no matter what I'm using. That's my sweet spot, you need to find your own sweet spot that fits your game.
Today I tried 2000 grit on the house pattern during open bowling and ball motion was very smooth compared to the out of the box 1500 polished I used to bowl with.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I will take a stab at this. If you found the right surface adjustment then that is good for you. You said your ball was drilled pin over ring finger. If I am correct, that ball could be either drilled very aggressive or it could be drilled for control. How did you tell your PSO to drill the ball? did you tell him to drill it for control? or did you just have him drill it? If it is drilled very agressive then having it drilled control will smooth it out a bit more for sure. I find that ball to be a bit more snappy myself then my rocketship. I used the timeless all 3 games today and did quite well. I believe what you did was get the surface closer to the rocketship surface to smooth it out a bit. If you found the surface adjustment you like then don't forget after 9 games or so you might want to redo that surface again.
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

krava wrote:I will take a stab at this. If you found the right surface adjustment then that is good for you. You said your ball was drilled pin over ring finger. If I am correct, that ball could be either drilled very aggressive or it could be drilled for control. How did you tell your PSO to drill the ball? did you tell him to drill it for control? or did you just have him drill it? If it is drilled very agressive then having it drilled control will smooth it out a bit more for sure. I find that ball to be a bit more snappy myself then my rocketship. I used the timeless all 3 games today and did quite well. I believe what you did was get the surface closer to the rocketship surface to smooth it out a bit. If you found the surface adjustment you like then don't forget after 9 games or so you might want to redo that surface again.
I misspoke earlier. I should have said that the pin is above my middle finger, not ring finger. The PSO watched me throw a few shots and according to my ball speed about 13.5 rpm he drilled the ball for length because of how strong the ball is. Looking back perhaps the ball should have been drilled for control. For now the 2000, and I also tried 3000 grit; both seem to smooth the reaction considerably. My next ball will be a solid somewhere in the Storm Thunder line like the Torrent at 2000 grit OOB. Then take the Timeless back to 1500 polish and use it where appropriate.
Qman

Post by Qman »

skfboiler wrote: Today I tried 2000 grit on the house pattern during open bowling and ball motion was very smooth compared to the out of the box 1500 polished I used to bowl with.
A little over/under reaction with the 1500 I take it?
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
14-16mph at monitor
skfboiler

Post by skfboiler »

Qman wrote:I try and stay with 2000 grit no matter what I'm using. That's my sweet spot, you need to find your own sweet spot that fits your game.
I sanded to 3000 and this time I did not like the motion. So I sanded back to 2000 and man was the motion smooth. 2000 grit may be my sweet spot also. Looking back I think I should have gotten one of Storm's Thunder line solid 2000 grit balls like the Torrent or the Rocket Ship if it was still around at the time. But for now my Timeless at 2000 grit is working exceptionally well. Now the only time I go Brooklyn is when I miss left of target.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

skfboiler wrote: I sanded to 3000 and this time I did not like the motion. So I sanded back to 2000 and man was the motion smooth. 2000 grit may be my sweet spot also. Looking back I think I should have gotten one of Storm's Thunder line solid 2000 grit balls like the Torrent or the Rocket Ship if it was still around at the time. But for now my Timeless at 2000 grit is working exceptionally well. Now the only time I go Brooklyn is when I miss left of target.
Don't be afraid to change the surface on ANY ball, out of the box finish by the manufacturer is just a start point. The key is to have balls that do different things so you can move to them during transition or if the lanes have more oil to start.
Stacy