Feelings you have when someone on your team beats you that s

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

TMack

Re: Feelings you have when someone on your team beats you th

Post by TMack »

I have seen this same thing far too many times over the years.

1. Guy gets first "hook in the box" ball.
2. Guy learns to put a few revs on the ball.
3. Guy bowls on walled house shot....and scores.
4. Guy thinks he's the "King of bowling" !!!!

It's all good until you leave your "house"........then not-so-much!
ChrisTan
Positive Axis Point: TBD soon
Speed: TBD soon
Axis Tilt: TBD
Axis Rotation: TBD

Post by ChrisTan »

This is internet gold
Chris
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

Tender ego.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

bowl1820 wrote:
Say what? 18 hours of sleep!!

I'm hoping you meant "someone WALKS in on you"

Yes being accurate & consistent is a lot of work, but you got to deal with it.

TonyPR mentions a hello kitty ball and now you say you had thought about using a hello kitty ball for the whole league. yeah okay :roll: :roll:

That's okay.

Oh you mean it's okay to bowl as good as you can and have a 110 average, just as long as you don't bowl over it!

How does a 110 average bowler shooting above average indicate something is wrong?

and do you mean wrong for you? or wrong for them?

Yes, it is usually wise not to offer advice until someone asks for it.

Pad your average???

Good luck!

A feel good average and more honor scores league then.

Yes, a sport league gives a player a good dose of reality about their bowling abilities.

What would you consider fair?

To many questions but will answer then I am done with the thread:
First of all you can't question me if I say I did something I did it. I wouldn't be saying something that I didn't do. One of the questions was about TonyPR about hello kitty ball. Check the date. I posted a whole thread on it long before he posted that. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12061&p=93349&hilit ... all#p93349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I played with the idea of using a hello kitty ball for the entire league to see what I would get. I should have done that, that would have prepared me better for a flat condition.

Next question is what would be fair: I need to be put back in the "middle group". I got lucky one night and boosted my average above 209. If you combine my averages from both leagues it would be under 209. Right now my average is 208 and pretty comfortable there. Pad my average means get my average to the highest point. I am shooting for 230 not sure if I will make it there in atleast one league. Padding means easy condition bascially no transition etc. the 110 and 170 deal. If someone averages 60 pins over their average a game for several weeks then you know something is wrong. Someone is seriously (whatever the word is for slacking off Sandbanging which isn't fair.). When have you known someone to bowl 3-4 weeks 60 pins a game over their average straight.

The other part accurate and consistant isn't what I was talking about. Being smart is what I was talking about. I don't think anyone ever goes out and plans to do a diagonal shot on a certain board, your throwing too many variables in there. You have to be accurate twice not just once. Accurate once hitting the mark. Then accurate again hitting the same angle. Too many things in play there.

I hope a comment wasn't meant for me on one of thepages about open box condition thinking they are king etc. I go to different houses all the time. I had a 218 average in sport league last year at all star lanes (only 9 games though before shoulder went out). I bowled Maverick Bowling center last week on a broken down house shot. I had to aim 8 boards left of where I usually play (from board 8 to board 16) averaged 207 or 208 for 5 games straight. See how many people can do this. If you have NEVER played inside of the 1st arrow, See how good you can play inside of the first arrrow. The closest I get is 8 board and a missed shot will get me to 7 or 6. Last saturday I wnated to do the game where you pick off pins after leaving them but the shot was so messed up. The lanes haven't been oiled in 5 days and there was 1 night of cosmic bowling on it also. My first shot with a low reactive ball I ended up hitting the 7 pin. To get the 10 pin throwing a straight ball with no hand, I had to move 5-6 boards left and hit the same target and pray it didn't hook at the end. ANother idea how dry it was, I used the plastic track ball and threw it between the 3rd and 4th arrow and almost as soon as it hit the lane, it turned left and I still missed the pocket with it. If I am correct I was standing 9 boards left of the last dot. So anyway see how many of you (that haven't played inside of 5) can play inside of 5 without throwing it in the gutter too much. I bowled 2.5 games playing 3 board or trying to hit it and I threw it in the gutter 1 time only. I never went left of 6. I did average 150 for those games but the 1/2 of first game I started I shot at a 220 pace for atleast the last 5 frames. I took a Storm Joyride threw the ball out to the 1 board (by accident) at 38 feet and it hit the pocket (left a 10 pin) but that gives you an idea how dry that is. The point isn't how dry but it is how many people can adjust that fast? There is a video on youtube with a guy offering $100 or $20 or something to someone if she can get the ball on the 2 board or 3 board and not go in the gutter. He was demonstraiting a point about how people fear the gutter and yes I am scared of the thing too. But I think I am doing good Never ever playing that close to the gutter and only putting it in there one time.

FYI I got my ass beat this week but it was very fun. I deserved to lose the first game since I wasn't paying attention to how I was throwing the ball. I didn't get enough loft on it and I didn't get any hand into the ball until 6th frame. I also missed a 10 pin. I got beat 198 to 194. 2nd game I missed another damn 10 pin and I shot 222 and she got 223 (would have been 223 if I struck out in the 10th). 3rd game it was fun I had XX9\ then 5 in a row. She had something close to it and also 5 in a row same time I did. I think a partner makes you bowl better trying to keep up with them. But anyway we whipped some ass and it was fun. If she wouldn't have got two damn splits in 9th and 10th frame she would have gotten me that game also. Something is happening though. Usually I don't give a damn if my team mates strike spare or nothing unless the game is on the line, but when she misses I feel bad for whatever reason. Its like me missing. But enough of this topic other things to deal with.
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

Good for them and my team. They held me up hopefully if I bowled like crap.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I don't want to make a new thread for this comment. Regarding Bowl1820 comment about nationals and what is fair. 1st of all lets take the leader in the Standard division. I think that is a bunch of crap there. If you look that guy up on bowl.com, he has been at the kegal his entire life. 7-8 years ago started at kegal and has been training there ever since. If you look at his leagues he has been in etc, you will also see he was in Junior Gold and also been trained at college. What I am upset with is that he doesn't have any average for the last 2 winter leagues. The average is 0 for whatever reason. I mean 7-8 years of straight training by the best people in the country, shouldn't you be good? I bet money that his average is way over 209 if he was in a regular league. That person should be in the Regular division and I bet alot of people agree with me there. See some people have alot of advantages like this guy has. When I was in youth, I didn't get taught anything. I was told shoot the 2nd arrow and that was it. No one tought me anything other then that. I was never trained by anyone. Right now I can't even pay someone to train me. I have been told by several people I don't have anything to work on. I can't learn anything from anyone because no one wants to teach me nothing. My last attempt will be going to IWC in Arlington and paying $500 and see what they say if they say anything like anyone else.

The article on the guy is here: https://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622329707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then go to bowl.com login with find a member and look the guy up for what leagues he was in, averages etc. It is like kegal took him as a test tube baby and tried to grow him. If I had 1 year of those 7-8 years he has had with people helping, god knows where I would be at right now.

I will atempt to bowl on the 2016 national double's pattern once a week or every two weeks. Here is the print out for today: http://picpaste.com/pics/20170715_18531 ... 187373.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6 games average 174.5 How can I compete against pro's, people trained all their lives etc with that? I bowled it like a house shot though, I shouldn't have put any hand in the ball. 4th game I should have switched balls to something that went a little further down the lane about 2 feet more. I increased speed to try to overcome the ball hooking a bit early. The only good side is that I didn't miss right of the target much at all. The downside is I need to work on my release for spares. My spare release is new to me (only 3 months or so), My spare release is good but sometimes timeing is bad. I can tell by how I release the ball (the moment I release it) if I am going to make the spare or not. If I come out of the ball properly, I will get the spare, if I don't, I probably won't. I have a tendency to sling the ball I guess to try to make up for getting to the foul line too fast and then I will turn my wrist to the left and not come out of it straight. The hardest spare I had today was the 6 pin. I missed it atleast twice. Once hitting the 10, once missing left of it by an inch. I used a hammer scandal ball drilled for max hook and I sanded it down to 500 gritt before starting to bowl. I am still puzzled how to make the 6 pin by throwing the ball diagonally to the right to get it. Right now I stand at 25 throw up 8 to get it. I can also get it in house shot conditions by standing 2.5 boards left of last dot hitting 3rd arrow, but I tried that today and ended up in the gutter a few times. Missed a 7 pin once at the very last few feet as it fell into the gutter. DIdn't miss any 4's or 8 pins. Missed only 1 10 pin but only left 2 or 3 max. I will just have to try the condition out and learn from the mistakes I made today on it. The shot I did was stand on 22 and shoot up 8. I didn't try to put any diagonal on it. Normal house shot, I stand on 26 and throw up 8. 6th game, I was standing on 24 throwing at 9 board out to 7 and back in.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote:I don't want to make a new thread for this comment. Regarding Bowl1820 comment about nationals and what is fair. 1st of all lets take the leader in the Standard division. I think that is a bunch of crap there. If you look that guy up on bowl.com, he has been at the kegal his entire life. 7-8 years ago started at kegal and has been training there ever since. If you look at his leagues he has been in etc, you will also see he was in Junior Gold and also been trained at college. What I am upset with is that he doesn't have any average for the last 2 winter leagues. The average is 0 for whatever reason. I mean 7-8 years of straight training by the best people in the country, shouldn't you be good? I bet money that his average is way over 209 if he was in a regular league. That person should be in the Regular division and I bet alot of people agree with me there.
Looking him up, he appears to just be a youth bowler who only has just gone adult. His youth league averages are not that remarkable, his highest average is a 204.

The article doesn't say he trained 7-8 years at Kegel, just that he lived 30 minutes away from kegel and went there to get ready for this tournament (though he may well have been there before). And yes he's had some good coaches at McKendree, But none of this indicates he some high average bowler.

See some people have alot of advantages like this guy has. When I was in youth, I didn't get taught anything. I was told shoot the 2nd arrow and that was it. No one tought me anything other then that. I was never trained by anyone.
Well that's too bad, But that's the breaks.

Right now I can't even pay someone to train me. I have been told by several people I don't have anything to work on. I can't learn anything from anyone because no one wants to teach me nothing. My last attempt will be going to IWC in Arlington and paying $500 and see what they say if they say anything like anyone else.
This I think is a telling statement "no one wants to teach me nothing", if you knew the reason behind that then I think you could progress.

Not having met you in person I wouldn't hazard a guess, why they tell you theres nothing for you to work on.

I'm sure there's plenty of stuff you could be taught,
The article on the guy is here: https://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622329707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then go to bowl.com login with find a member and look the guy up for what leagues he was in, averages etc. It is like kegal took him as a test tube baby and tried to grow him. If I had 1 year of those 7-8 years he has had with people helping, god knows where I would be at right now.
Reading the article there's nothing there that indicates he's a Kegel test tube super bowler.

A lot of this just sounds like sour grapes, Everybody has more experience, more advantages etc. than I did. So they should change the rules so I shouldn't have to compete against them.

Pretty much there's always going to be someone who has more experience, training, advantages etc. than you.

Even if they change the rules, that won't change.

Like they say "If you can't run with the big dogs, you'd better stay on the porch"
6 games average 174.5 How can I compete against pro's, people trained all their lives etc with that? ......................................................... Missed only 1 10 pin but only left 2 or 3 max.
Since your going to a training center and after reading this here's somethings you might could have then help you with.

Work on release.
Work on timing.
How to go cross lane to shoot spares.
Ball selection and surfaces.
I will just have to try the condition out and learn from the mistakes I made today on it. The shot I did was stand on 22 and shoot up 8. I didn't try to put any diagonal on it. Normal house shot, I stand on 26 and throw up 8. 6th game, I was standing on 24 throwing at 9 board out to 7 and back in.
Might also check your approach and targeting.
How much your drifting and how it's affect your shot line choices.
(because if your standing on 26 your drifting about 11 boards right to be able to throw straight up 8)
Last edited by bowl1820 on July 16th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

OP Here you go thisa guy tella you whata you need:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by imagonman on July 25th, 2017, 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

Shouldn't the mantra be " Team first?" I'm happy if someone bowls better than me, we pick each other up depending on how other teammates are bowling that that night.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor
pjape

Post by pjape »

krava wrote:The shot I did was stand on 22 and shoot up 8. I didn't try to put any diagonal on it. Normal house shot, I stand on 26 and throw up 8. 6th game, I was standing on 24 throwing at 9 board out to 7 and back in.
I can't resist commenting on this too, especially since you had a lesson with Susie.

To throw up 8, you should be no further left that 15. Most bowlers need to stand 6 to 7 boards left of their target. If you're standing on 26 to shoot up 8, either you're drifting way right, the ball is way too far away from you're ankle, or both. I just can't imagine that Susie didn't say anything about this. As I recall, you said that she said "your physical game was fine." Drifting that far left can work, but doing so right is just plain wrong.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=T6dubEXRhRo[/youtube]

If you worked with Susie, she may have helped you discover just where in relation to your ankle, you set the ball down. In Dick Ritger training, they refer to this as "your personal number" . That number is factored into where you start your approach.
Susie probably covered the one step drill, not just a gloss over it, but the complete value of the drill (what you learn, observe, train)

Video yourself Rear view for self observation. Do so from various lines.

Good thread which also contains Onder Gurkan's 5:5 drill an alignment training drill. Perfect the application of that drill, then use it for other lined

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13078&p=101395&hil ... an#p101395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plot out your line using pencil and paper.
Stance position, lay down point, arrow zone, breakpoint, focal point!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

Quoting Dr. Dean Hinitz in an article of Bowling This Month Magazine:

"4. You have to know up front that virtually nothing that happens during the course of play can make you lose your cool.

You have to maintain a centered sense of yourself, no matter how the pins fall, no matter what kind of behavior other bowlers exhibit, or good or bad breaks that occur for anyone.

If people, pins, and performance have to turn out a certain way in order for you to be okay, then you have made yourself a hostage of the universe. Nothing in a performance arena should own you. You must be very clear long before the competition that this is true for you. If you do not handle this early in the game, life will knock you over with a stick. Fast."

I can't believe how big an ego you've got.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.