Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Layouts for Junior Gold girl

Post by TonyPR »

Hello Eric, here's an update from our last private conversation about my daughter's Jr Gold arsenal.
Comfortably using 12 lbs now
12 yr old lefty
Practicing 2017 WTBA patterns in preparation for Jr Gold
http://www.worldbowling.org/about/rules/lane-patterns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
13.5 mph monitor
180 rpms
9* axis tilt
Low axis rotation (around 40*)
PAP 4 1/2 x 1/8" down

Balls available:
-plastic (comfort ball for spares)

-Storm Tropical drilled pin under RF, using it for med oil but it seems like too arcy for my eyes, forces her to play deep starting around 20, not her A game, she likes to play straight down 5. Have tried different surfaces.

-900 Global X drilled pin besides RF 500 grit, good for short oil, nice reaction, short oil is her strength because she can play her A game and sees little transition because she is a low rev lefty.

-Hammer Rebel Solid, drilled today per my buddy's recommendations to be used on long oil
45 x 3 3/8 x 45 drilling angle set to cg is currently larger because no balance hole has been used yet, spans are 4". 500 grit, tried it on 43' Mexico City, reaction was so-so, wasn't reading early enough in my opinion plus not really enough "pop". It has 1/4 oz side and 3/8 oz thumb weight.

-Hammer Rebel Pearl (undrilled).

I think I nailed it with the X for short but the Tropical is to arcy and the Rebel Solid is meeehhhh.

My thinking is VAL angles are to large on the Tropical and the Rebel Solid...

What would you recommend Eric.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Layouts for Junior Gold girl

Post by EricHartwell »

TonyPR wrote:Hello Eric, here's an update from our last private conversation about my daughter's Jr Gold arsenal.
Comfortably using 12 lbs now
12 yr old lefty
Practicing 2017 WTBA patterns in preparation for Jr Gold
http://www.worldbowling.org/about/rules/lane-patterns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
13.5 mph monitor
180 rpms
9* axis tilt
Low axis rotation (around 40*)
PAP 4 1/2 x 1/8" down

Balls available:
-plastic (comfort ball for spares)

-Storm Tropical drilled pin under RF, using it for med oil but it seems like too arcy for my eyes, forces her to play deep starting around 20, not her A game, she likes to play straight down 5. Have tried different surfaces.

-900 Global X drilled pin besides RF 500 grit, good for short oil, nice reaction, short oil is her strength because she can play her A game and sees little transition because she is a low rev lefty.

-Hammer Rebel Solid, drilled today per my buddy's recommendations to be used on long oil
45 x 3 3/8 x 45 drilling angle set to cg is currently larger because no balance hole has been used yet, spans are 4". 500 grit, tried it on 43' Mexico City, reaction was so-so, wasn't reading early enough in my opinion plus not really enough "pop". It has 1/4 oz side and 3/8 oz thumb weight.

-Hammer Rebel Pearl (undrilled).

I think I nailed it with the X for short but the Tropical is to arcy and the Rebel Solid is meeehhhh.

My thinking is VAL angles are to large on the Tropical and the Rebel Solid...

What would you recommend Eric.
The Tropical has a very weak core coupled with the pin down layout, I agree about the VAL being too large, the drilling angle is huge on that one as well. I would suggest plugging and re-drilling that one with the PBA plastic ball layout

I always start from the Benchmark 100* total 2:1 Ratio Asym 65-3.75-35, Sym 70-4.25-30

Hammer Rebel Solid... I would not hesitate to punch a P3 in that one. Drill the middle finger deeper to allow a larger P3.

Hammer Rebel Pearl.... a skid flip ball, I would go with the Benchmark layout that will end up producing more of a long and strong motion. 70-4.25-30 no balance hole but set up for a Motion hole for the option of longer and stronger.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Thank you Eric, was thinking P3 too for the Rebel Solid but needed your confirmation to feel safe.

Rebel Pearl with a benchmark layout could actually be a very versatile ball for her. I like your recommendation for this one.

One question Eric, why do you think the 900 Global X pin besides RF 500 grit rolls so good for her in Stockholm. What is the current dual angle for this one? What would have your recommendation been?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

TonyPR wrote:One question Eric, why do you think the 900 Global X pin besides RF 500 grit rolls so good for her in Stockholm. What is the current dual angle for this one? What would have your recommendation been?
Stockholm is a fairly flat pattern with the outside taper out at the 5 board. That pattern and your daughters A game match up well. The Global X pin next to ring approx layout ~70-3.5-40 is a 10* adjustment towards Control from Benchmark with a Stronger pin to PAP. That ball is well within her layout range.
I would have probably recommended a Control layout with a little bit weaker pin to PAP. It is right in line with my thinking.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Ok last question, PBA layout is 4" cg to PAP at a 45* angle to the VAL, this ball has about a 1 1/2" pin to cg, wouldn't this layout be the same as (thumb* x 4" x 45*) I am guessing that since the ball has a marked pin out that I should use the pin instead of the cg (like in a pin in ball) to lay it out. Correct?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent