3 Step Approach (Follow Up)

Have our certified coaches analyze your game!

Moderators: TonyPR, deanchamp, Moderators

Forum rules
In this forum you can post your YouTube videos for the coaches to review.
Users can only create new posts, only Certified Coaches can respond.
Make sure your questions are thorough, registered users can only create new topics and edit, not reply.
If you have a change in your game or would like to reply, you can edit your post then bump it using the BUMP link.
eblues

3 Step Approach (Follow Up)

Post by eblues »

First question:
The forum settings do not allow me to reply in my original thread, is that the norm?

TonyPR
Thanks for your speedy response. Sorry for the delay in getting back. Was waiting to get more video. Then to be honest, it kinda slipped my mind.

I still don't have the correct videos... didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I'll try again, but I've attached what I have for now. I've had the chicken wing issue in mind, but obviously have not rectified.

The local pro shop guy commented that I was too regimented, trying to aim the ball. So I've been trying to be more loose and less controlling with my delivery, which results in somewhat faster steps.

Also got a new ball. My old ball was a worn out, hand-me-down 15 lb Track 811. It didn't have much hook to it, guess it would be roughly comparable to a urethane ball in regards to lane reaction.

The new ball is a DV8 Grudge Hybrid. It has a nice little snap at the end. I've been told I do not put much revs on the ball.

Frankly, I didn't believe a ball change would be beneficial until I fixed my issues with missing target, but the Grudge is definitely producing more "lucky" strikes (bad shots that strike anyway), more single pin spares, and less splits.

I'm still missing target frequently though, probably at least 1/3 of the time. Currently, my target is boards 7-8 out between the arrows. I typically set up with the inside edge of my right foot somewhere between 20 and 25, depending on how oily/dry the lane is.

KAJMK:
Thanks for your input.

The three step drill in the Kegel video you referenced is opposite what I actually do. In that drill, the bowler takes three steps, but starts the ball early, so that the timing of the three steps is similar to a four step approach.

I do the opposite, I take 4 steps, but I do not start my ball forward until the 2nd step. In fact, I pull the ball back slightly towards my body during the first step as a timing key.

This confusion over the definition of a three step approach is what I found made it difficult for me to find much information online regarding my particular bowling style.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: 3 Step Approach (Follow Up)

Post by TonyPR »

Two tips:

Physical game: check out your first video (rear view) and observe your lateral spine tilt in your second and third step. If you could set up that lateral spine tilt at address and keep it exactly the same until after you release the ball that will greatly help your accuracy and power transfer. Think ball under head and keep spine quiet from address to release. In your stance focus on placing the ball side shoulder lower and behind the other shoulder and keep it that way throughout your whole approach and delivery.

Targeting: search this forum for "Three point targeting with quiet eye" study it and implement it. You can hit a target at the arrows in many different angles, when you have a focal point at the pins the target becomes a line from the arrows (or dots or foul line) to that focal point and will be more consistent than focusing in just one point at the arrows. Let your target be a line.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Great job as always Tony.

To answer eblues question about not being able to reply to his original post.
That IS the norm for the Certified Coaches forum. I found that out exactly as you did when I was new to the forum. I believe it is the only segment with that constraint.

Tony mentioned 3 point targeting with quiet eye, you will see that on the forum and also within one of the Kegel Teen Masters Tips on the Wiki
[youtube][/youtube]
or
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=w62JZe_rBmk[/youtube]

To clarify my rationale for the 3 step video of the Kegel series.
That method was designed to be used in situations where the bowler needed to start his approach in front of the ball return due to lane conditions coupled with the bowler's rev rate an speed. In short they needed to play an extreme inside Angle, perhaps even lifting over the gutter cap. It is however a correct way to do a 3 step approach.
Semantically a 3 step approach has 3 steps, a 4 has 4 steps and so on.

One characteristic of an ideal swing is that it be as straight as possible. There are other types of swings but to be effective, they should follow the target line.

You can see that there is an arc in your swing, that is part of the reason for missing your target, it gives you a shortened time when your swing is on line. Also, geometrically there are an infinite number of tangents off of a curved line, but a straight line is straight.
A similar flaw in a baseball swing would be a swing that is an uppercut swing as opposed to one that is flatter. That is less window of opportunity to contact the baseball.

Good timing allows things to happen like an efficient swing with less muscle.
The coaches in the ETBF VIDEO, discuss rationale based on biomechanics, they will mention a term Elastic Tension. In short, the timing you use almost guaranteed most of what you see that you do not like. The ETBF methods are scientifically based.
Note very well, that there are drills you can do when not at the bowling center.
You can use a weighted prop, with a diameter similar to a bowling ball.
If I lived across the Atlantic, I'd definitely take their coaching training, and if I were a young man, I'd take all five levels

Another video, I'd like to recommend is the set by Mo Pinel, his Shift Bowl Technique
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Technique" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To keep this post brief, I think you will get a good understanding of timing, footwork, and swing, by viewing the ETBF Videos on the wiki. As per norm, I write too much.
Please do watch these videos as it will give you the reasons and good solid technique.
The links below, are 3 segments of that video.
I am listing them out of order, as 2 and 3 have more germane content, but DO watch part 1.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lmA9WJ0TlQ0[/youtube]

There are a lot of quality posts and many with excellent references on this forum.
You can indeed learn a lot here.

Truly though, your best bet is to find a good coach in your locale with a proven track record. Note that being able to bowl well is not a criteria for being a good coach.
Just consider the parallels in other sports of great coaches that were mediocre to average players.

Cheers.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

eblue, to accentuate the need for a more linear swing I've added the YouTube below.

As you look at your swing from the rear, it appears to resemble a banana shape.
One thing that means is that you have less chance of releasing your ball at point where it is on your target line. Early release will miss outside, late release will miss inside.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John