maintain the "right" mindset

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

Berton
Preferred Company: Motiv

maintain the "right" mindset

Post by Berton »

As a beginner - medium level bowler I often feel out of control with my mind, especially when I miss a couple "easy" shots in a row. It is like i lose the "flow" and then its really hard to recover. For example I was playing with my buddies the other night and I was doing fine, about 160 which is my avg. Then I launched a ball straight into the gutter, and everything started to go downhill from that point; less score, less interest, and less motivation.
So my question is how to keep the right mindset after unlikely shots?
Arsenal:
Motiv Raptor Attack, Motiv 2Cruel, Brunswick BVP Nemesis

Operating at https://bowlbusters.com
Speed - 14.78mph | Throw - Right
High Game - 240 | High Series - 617 (210, 189, 218)
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: maintain the "right" mindset

Post by TonyPR »

When you are having bad shots try to focus on one thing you know you can do very well. It can be for example: post your shot or follow through or giving it revs, whatever you know you are really good at and just focus on that one positive you already have in your bag... hope that helps.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

The goal is to separate the result from the process. You can control where you throw it but you can't control the result. Have a consistent approach. Hit your mark. Throw the ball consistently. Make adjustments.

If you throw the ball well and hit your mark, then regardless of the result you should be satisfied. If you don't hit the pocket, then make the adjustment and move on.

If you throw the ball like crap, then you get what you get.
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

You have to decide your mindset. There is no magic bullet here, you decide that those bad shots / form is not going to worry you. You'rv got to teach yourself to let go the bad shot, not worry about it, figure what you did wrong and think of making a better shot next ball. When ever i hit the pocket and leave the 10 pin, its just a bad shot, let it go and just turn around and try to make a better shot next time.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
spmcgivern

Post by spmcgivern »

ballspoint wrote:When ever i hit the pocket and leave the 10 pin, its just a bad shot, let it go and just turn around and try to make a better shot next time.
Downside to this is not all 10-pins are bad shots. If the bowler does all of the physical things correctly and the result is a 10-pin, then it isn't a bad "shot". It may be a bad place to be on the lane, or the wrong ball, but not a bad shot.

It takes experience (bad lines and bad equipment) to reduce these instances, but it is needed to be successful. And it takes some more experience than others.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Yep, I agree. All ten pins are caused by deflection and many times we blame it on the physical when it's more about how and where the ball is rolling.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

spmcgivern wrote:
Downside to this is not all 10-pins are bad shots. If the bowler does all of the physical things correctly and the result is a 10-pin, then it isn't a bad "shot". It may be a bad place to be on the lane, or the wrong ball, but not a bad shot.

It takes experience (bad lines and bad equipment) to reduce these instances, but it is needed to be successful. And it takes some more experience than others.
I used that as a easy example for 'mindset', i agree on part of your comment thou.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

In the Wiki under the Coaching section there is a section titled Mental Games, there may be somethings in there that will help your mind set.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
stevespo
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

spmcgivern wrote:The goal is to separate the result from the process. You can control where you throw it but you can't control the result. Have a consistent approach. Hit your mark. Throw the ball consistently. Make adjustments.
That's great advice. There's something from Dean Hinitz (Focused For Bowling) that I often fall back on, paraphrasing - Once you let go of the ball, you can't control the outcome, but you can certainly control your reaction to the outcome.

The Inner Game of Tennis is another very good read on the mental game.

How you proceed from a bad shot is up to you. Get pissed off and ruin the evening - or regroup/refocus, make a good shot and recover? We were talking about this exact thing last night at league. It takes a lot of practice to live in the moment, and move on from a bad shot, a bad break, even things out of your control like other bowlers, mechanical failures, etc.

Step back, take a deep breath. Make the best shot you possibly can. Observe what is happening, and adjust.

When my body aches or mind wanders and I'm not executing, I slow down, get extra methodical and concentrate on being smooth and deliberate. From there I can recalibrate.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
spmcgivern

Post by spmcgivern »

Was going through some Sports Illustrated magazines and came across one from the World Series this past year. The magazine had a copy of the game 7 line-up card for Joe Maddon and the Chicago Cubs. I found some of the minor details of his card are similar to this discussion.

* Do simple better
* "DNPTPTETP" - Do not permit the pressure to exceed the pleasure
* Process - Stick to the process; don't worry about results
* B present, not perfect

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/03/14/joe-m ... ineup-card