the TRI GRIP disection

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

MWhite

Re: the TRI GRIP disection

Post by MWhite »

Bhb wrote: ...
As for the Tri-Grip and the "dual angle" layout, it is established with a mere 5/16" additional movement towards the positive axis point than what you would do with a standard T grip.
Bill Hall
The offset might get you close occasionally, but it's not accurate.

The Dual Angle method produces a grip centerline for the T-Grip style.
That line passes through the center of the thumb, and splits the bridge.

The Tri-Grip starts with the middle finger centerline which doesn't pass through the thumb, and doesn't split the bridge. Therefore those two lines are at an angle to each other.

How much of an angle is based on the offset to the thumb centerline, finger spans, finger hole sizes, and bridge size.

Since the angle is variable, based on each hand, there can't be a simple offset to the pin location.

I'm working the math to take the parameters used in the Tri-Grip, and computing the equivalent T-Grip specs.
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

JohnP wrote:I can't comment on how the tri-grip parameters are established. But you're going to have to explain why, after a ball has been drilled, I can't measure hole sizes, pitches, and spans and duplicate that on a second ball with a different dual angle layout. -- JohnP
I think there are two different definitions of the word "copy" in use.

1) The ability to duplicate a Tri-Grip ball with no knowledge of the Tri-Grip process.
2) The ability to create a Tri-Grip ball from scratch with no knowledge of the process.

I agree #1 is possible, and #2 is highly unlikely.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

In my mind, copy means "replicate"!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

Drill a Trip-Grip. Throw the ball and find the PAP. Then draw a centerline that bisects the bridge and goes through the center of the thumb. Divide the longest full span (ring or middle finger) by 2 and mark that as your grip center and make a midline. Measure your PAP specs and your spans and pitches relative to this. Now you can use dual angles all you want and still drill your Tri-Grip fit from this different frame of reference.
=======================================================
RevZ
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

RevZiLLa wrote:Drill a Trip-Grip. Throw the ball and find the PAP. Then draw a centerline that bisects the bridge and goes through the center of the thumb. Divide the longest full span (ring or middle finger) by 2 and mark that as your grip center and make a midline. Measure your PAP specs and your spans and pitches relative to this. Now you can use dual angles all you want and still drill your Tri-Grip fit from this different frame of reference.
RevZiila-
You have demonstrated something rare in today's world of bowling- COMMON SENSE. And that is RADICAL!
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

RevZiLLa wrote:Drill a Trip-Grip. Throw the ball and find the PAP. Then draw a centerline that bisects the bridge and goes through the center of the thumb. Divide the longest full span (ring or middle finger) by 2 and mark that as your grip center and make a midline. Measure your PAP specs and your spans and pitches relative to this. Now you can use dual angles all you want and still drill your Tri-Grip fit from this different frame of reference.
The main reason I can see for drilling a generic layout ball with the Tri-Grip is that with the different pitches that the Trip-Grip uses, I expect the PAP to change when measured from the T-Grip perspective.
stan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by stan »

Just purchased the system and had a chance to drill up a ball and try it out. Here is what I found.

The weight of the ball moved from my index finger more to the center of my hand. Based on this, the ball did feel a bit lighter.

I come off the side of the ball and my track is down a bit, but after throwing the new grip, my track actually moved up about a inch or so.

Hand stayed in the ball a bit longer and was able to feel the ball exit my fingers much better. Before you ask, no, there was no grab, just the feel of my fingers going thru the ball.

I did encounter one problem. Using Bill's starting pitches, I did have to squeeze the ball a bit to hold onto it at first. I added some tape and it was better. I just removed the slug and added a bit more forward pitch to my thumb. Will try it out a bit later on.

I will have to play with the pitches a bit before I will consider this a "Home Run". By the way, when I went back to my old grip, I found myself squeezing it more and almost dropping it. The weight shift for me was substantial.

I am sure the results will vary from bowler to bowler but I feel Bill might be on to something.

For those that have tried it, does my results match yours ?
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful
littleJOEYrimshot
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 x 1/8 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 310
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: the best match up

Post by littleJOEYrimshot »

as of oct 1st I've had 40 customers try the tri grip, 35 love it and have decided to change their arsenal accordingly. thanks bill hall

joe cerar
Last edited by littleJOEYrimshot on October 11th, 2013, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

stan wrote:Just purchased the system and had a chance to drill up a ball and try it out. Here is what I found.
For those that have tried it, does my results match yours ?
My results were similar to yours.

My PAP moved from 3 3/4 x 3/4u to 4 3/4 x 1 7/8u

I've never exactly measured my tilt/rotation but my tilt was high 30+ and my rotation, while low, is hard to estimate with the high tilt.

With the Tri-Grip, my tilt appeared to drop to about 10-15 degrees, and the axis rotation was in the 20-30 range.
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

i realize you have to put a label on something to name it, but, if you want to change tilt on a ball it seems to me that to increase it you would pitch the thumb away from the palm (center grip) and to decrease it the opposite. also dropping the ring fingers would decrease tilt because as the thumb clears the balls tendency would be to roll more forward with less tilt because the ring finger would dominate more.

just for this conversation i'm taking finger pitches out of the equation and assuming standard baseline pitches for each bowler.

rr
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

rrb6699 wrote:i realize you have to put a label on something to name it, but, if you want to change tilt on a ball it seems to me that to increase it you would pitch the thumb away from the palm (center grip) and to decrease it the opposite. also dropping the ring fingers would decrease tilt because as the thumb clears the balls tendency would be to roll more forward with less tilt because the ring finger would dominate more.

just for this conversation i'm taking finger pitches out of the equation and assuming standard baseline pitches for each bowler.

rr
Take your current pitches and add 1" right pitch to all holes. The grip should feel the same since the holes are the same relative to each other. The weight of the ball will feel quite different because where the mass is located relatively to the palm. I think such a drilling would cause an increase in tilt.

Then take your current pitches and add 1" left pitch. I think this would cause a decrease in tilt.

For me, the Tri-Grip adds left pitch to the thumb, while adding right pitch to the fingers.

It looks like the pitch of the thumb is more important to tilt than the pitch of the fingers.

Finger spans could be acting as a fine adjustment while thumb pitch as a coarse adjustment.
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

rrb6699 wrote:i realize you have to put a label on something to name it, but, if you want to change tilt on a ball it seems to me that to increase it you would pitch the thumb away from the palm (center grip) and to decrease it the opposite. also dropping the ring fingers would decrease tilt because as the thumb clears the balls tendency would be to roll more forward with less tilt because the ring finger would dominate more.

rr
Are you confusing the increasing and decreasing of tilt with raising and lowering of the track? Because from my experience it is the exact opposite of what you are saying. Putting more pitch away from the palm creates lower axis tilt angle and a higher track. Putting more pitch toward palm promotes a higher axis tilt angle and a lower track.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
sprocket
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by sprocket »

All other things equal I would think right lateral would decrease tilt, but what about someone who tends to come over the top of the ball at release or turns the ball early? When I do that the track hits the thumb hole so I assume tilt goes down. Also I bowl thumbless and it is very easy to turn the ball early and top the ball. If I went with a right lateral shift in order to get more of the ball's weight to the outside and therefore DID NOT turn it early or top it and instead played more of the inside of the ball, would that not INCREASE tilt???
Ball speed: 18mph
Rev rate: 400rpm
PAP: 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
Tilt: 12°
Axis rotation 30°-60°
littleJOEYrimshot
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 x 1/8 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 310
Axis Tilt: 12
Preferred Company: the best match up

Post by littleJOEYrimshot »

littleJOEYrimshot wrote:as of oct 1st I've had 40 customers try the tri grip, 35 love it and have decided to change their arsenal accordingly. thanks bill hall

joe cerar

i've modified the number of customers who have tried/love the tri grip above.

i've also been working on a spherical equation for the conversion of tri grip to t grip drilling. i'm almost finished. i would like bill hall's approval before i would publish this information.
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

Are there any options for one to be able to try this grip system without having to travel 250+ miles to a pro shop that can do it. So far no responses from my local pro shops in learning this system. And I do not have the money to invest in this to just try it.

Daryl
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

littleJOEYrimshot wrote: i've modified the number of customers who have tried/love the tri grip above.

i've also been working on a spherical equation for the conversion of tri grip to t grip drilling. i'm almost finished. i would like bill hall's approval before i would publish this information.

Joe,

I am glad that your customers are happy, that is our ultimate goal as shop operators :D. But I doubt that you will get approval from Mr. Hall, as he has ascertained in both print and verbally that it is impossible to convert his method to a T-grip drilling. Why would he agree to devalue his process by showing it can be done in such a base manner as the lowly T-grip?

I assume that this means that you have drilled one in such a manner, and the player cannot tell which is which by feel?
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

littleJOEYrimshot wrote:as of oct 1st I've had 40 customers try the tri grip, 35 love it and have decided to change their arsenal accordingly. thanks bill hall

joe cerar
How do you go about advertising the Tri-Grip to drive new customers into your shop?

Or is it just an option on the "menu" that customers already in your shop can discover?
stan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by stan »

I made up a little sign stating that the Tri-Grip is available here. What this has done is to create conversation about the grip. I have recommended trying it on an older ball first, which has made sense to many of my bowlers. Unfortunately, since we are already into the season, there is some hesitation for the ones that are bowling good to try something different, which is totally understandable. Of course, there are some that do not care and are always into trying something different.

I also drilled up a ball using the Tri-Grip system and have it on display. I made the thumb hole a bit larger and did not glue in the inserts (so I can change them) and also used a 4 3/8 span, something that might be close for most bowlers. Now I know its not perfect but it does give you a bit of the feel of the new grip.

All this appears to be working and generating a lot on interest.
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

It seems to me that most have raised their track and the ball sits more in the palm of the hand. What, if any, change in axis tilt have you seen on average with you customers.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

Dustin? wrote:It seems to me that most have raised their track and the ball sits more in the palm of the hand. What, if any, change in axis tilt have you seen on average with you customers.
I believe the track is getting closer to the thumb hole because you are basically moving the thumb hole left and closer to the track with the tri grip modification.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+