wizard quick plug

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

jfvstorm5
Preferred Company: storm

wizard quick plug

Post by jfvstorm5 »

does anyone use it? i used to love that stuff for custom thumb slugs, but in 2011 the formula went bad and i stopped purchasing it. does anyone know if it was changed back? and how it comes out? i like the feel of turbo slugs over the plasticky feel of vise.. does anyone know if there are other plugs that feel identical to turbo? thank you
georgeh

Re: wizard quick plug

Post by georgeh »

this previous thread may help; viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by stan »

Use it all the time. New formula fixed the tape falling out issue and now works just fine.
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful
clatara
THS Average: 200

Post by clatara »

stan wrote:Use it all the time. New formula fixed the tape falling out issue and now works just fine.
How do you recogn new formula from the old one? Last kit I received there's no sign to asses whether it's the new or the old. However the tape problems are due more to the tape glue than anything else. IMO
jfvstorm5

Post by jfvstorm5 »

the copany was sold, i believe in 2011, and the new owner wanted to cut back on money spent on producing the product, and therefore used a lesser quality material, which caused it to trap more air bubbles, fall appart and break down quicker, and released some type of oily residue that stopped the adhearsion of bowlers tape.
stan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by stan »

jfvstorm5 wrote:the copany was sold, i believe in 2011, and the new owner wanted to cut back on money spent on producing the product, and therefore used a lesser quality material, which caused it to trap more air bubbles, fall appart and break down quicker, and released some type of oily residue that stopped the adhearsion of bowlers tape.

Not sure about that. I heard one of the distributors that supply part of the plug formula went out of business and they had to find a new vendor. I have called them a few times in the past year and never heard that story. But, who knows ?
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful
Knestrikes

Post by Knestrikes »

jfvstorm5 is close...They did change the formula, it caused leaching issues that made it oily.
They spent a ton of money fixing it and now it's working like it used to.

Personally, I switched to vise rapid cure as a fix and haven't used the other since.
It's a lot harder than the wizard and easier to match colors since it dries clear and not cloudy. It makes for a better ball plug IMHO....

You'll get a wide range of pros and cons with both products, but once you get used to it, you'll discover that they both do the job.....some prefer one over the other just off the hardness factor depending on which you like.
jfvstorm5

Post by jfvstorm5 »

i decided to buy a kit of it, and its working pretty well so far. very very minimal air bubble if any at all. definitely what i am going to use from now on for custom thumb molds. but yes, knestrikes is right, the rapid cure does get harder, which is also very good for a different use. personaly i dont like that for a thumb mold, but sleeving a hole is is great with, especially for repairs for a switch grip ball it.
Cody300
Preferred Company: Ultimate Bowling

Post by Cody300 »

Hello,

This is Cody with Ultimate Bowling Products.

I wanted to address a couple of the statements on here.

When the new owners took Ultimate over, Wizard was the exact same formula that it has always been. About two months into the new ownership, one of the main chemicals in producing Wizard became unavailable forcing them to tweak the formula slightly with a replacement chemical. We have sold the current version for the last 8 months and we have had great feedback from our customers and we have had 0 issues with any reaction to bowlers tape.

To say that we "purposely cheapened up the formula" is totally not true at all!

Ultimate Bowling strives to offer the most quality bowling products on the market today and we are continuously doing research and development to give our customers the best products in bowling!

If anybody has ever experienced any issues or has any comments, please feel free to call myself or Jesse at the office and we will take care of you! We strive to have the best customer service in the industry and I think if you take the time to give us a call, you will agree that we go the extra mile for our customers!

Sincerely,

Cody Mead
Ultimate Bowling Products
cody@ultimatebowling
816-884-1811