Making a PSA/MB locator

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

kidlost2000
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5.5
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 300
Heavy Oil Ball: Wicked Siege, Perfection X
Medium Oil Ball: Wicked Siege x2 Speed Master
Light Oil Ball: Slingshot, Wicked Siege
Preferred Company: Brunswick/Revolution, Morich

Making a PSA/MB locator

Post by kidlost2000 »

Long story short after seeing a video online I'm going through the process of making a item to find the PSA/MB of a bowling ball pre and post drilled.

The thread I was origianlly asking about this on was locked because someone was offended that Mo may be upset and not like this site any more. I'm guessing Mo wouldn't mind since I'm not going into business producing them nor would I spend the amount of money it cost to get one from Jayhawk. Since the admin PURDUEPAUL locked it and advised aginst bringing it up on this site again i don't see this last long.

I have found the parts needed to build one and will be ordering them over the next few weeks.

Also the machine has been produced by others and used by manufactures to check therie bowling balls. Which, a vid of how bowling balls are made on youtube shows where one in Ebonites warehouse is being used and how it works.

This will be posted on another bowling "ballreview" website so you can track my progress since this is likly to be blocked or deleted by PURDUEPAUL who thinks I cannot make this product or thinks the opposite and doesn't want the information getting out.

Either or, good, bad or ugly I will post my results.
"today I went shopping and talk is still cheap"
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Making a PSA/MB locator

Post by kellytehuna »

I don't think the sentiment behind locking the previous thread is not one of Mo being upset and leaving the site. Rather, I believe it is one of protecting intellectual property here on a site that heavily frequented by the man to whom said intellectual property belongs! It's a matter of respect. Purduepaul is simply asking that you respect Mo.

It's safe to say that Mo has spent much time, effort and money on researching, designing and manufacturing the deTerminator. I don't think he would appreciate us, his friends, giving up that information so readily (not that I know how that machine works, anyway! LOL!).

If you have spent anywhere the amount of time here that some of us have, you will notice that Mo will answer just about any question, without hesitation, as quickly and concisely as possible. The questions he consistently cuts short, are those that delve into proprietary information, such as core designs.

In respect for Mo and all he has done here, I would ask you to discontinue this thread of inquiry. While I, for one, would be fascinated to see if you can reproduce the function of the deTerminator, I too, will bow out of this discussion.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

I had thought about posting a response in the other thread but it got locked before I was able to.

I like to buy the best product available when I can afford it, but I am also very into trying to build things myself, especially when I can't afford something that I know would be useful. I have thought about building a DeTerminator like machine for my own use and even consulted with a friend of mine who is a machinist, after which I decided not to attempt the build. He felt to do it with any reasonable quality / stability / reliability that it would still cost between $400-$500 to build, and that was with him doing the machining for free (which could otherwise add many hundreds $$$ to the price). Given that price tag and the chance that it might not work correctly, or might take a couple of revisions to get working properly, I decided to put the idea aside. I would still love to have such an item and have even considered financing one of Mo's but right now that option isn't good for me.

Anyway, here is the important part (be sure to read all of it and not take things out of context).
I think you should pursue your build, and unless there is a forum rule specifically against it, I think you should be allowed to post on this forum regarding your build and ask any questions you might have. However I think you should tiptoe around this subject out of respect to Mo, since it is his design you are trying to copy, and consider not posting too much about your build altogether. If you do post, I wouldn't expect you to find too much support or many answers from anyone here, including from myself. As interested as I am I have a great deal of respect for Mo and the others on this forum, and as an artist I can understand protecting the things you've created, not wanting to give them away for free. As a moderator on other sites I can also understand Paul's feelings on this matter though I don't believe there was enough reason for the other thread to be locked (though it was venturing off the original topic, but that wasn't the reason). I don't want to bring up old wounds but we all know why we are here and not some where else.

As a DIY type who has built some things that were invented by others, my suggestion to you is to find answers more discreetly and more respectfully (such as through PM), through research elsewhere on the web, and of course through experimentation. That is the fun and the risk with DIY projects, failed experiments leading to success.
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

kidlost2000 wrote:Long story short after seeing a video online I'm going through the process of making a item to find the PSA/MB of a bowling ball pre and post drilled.

The thread I was origianlly asking about this on was locked because someone was offended that Mo may be upset and not like this site any more. I'm guessing Mo wouldn't mind since I'm not going into business producing them nor would I spend the amount of money it cost to get one from Jayhawk. Since the admin PURDUEPAUL locked it and advised aginst bringing it up on this site again i don't see this last long.

I have found the parts needed to build one and will be ordering them over the next few weeks.

Also the machine has been produced by others and used by manufactures to check therie bowling balls. Which, a vid of how bowling balls are made on youtube shows where one in Ebonites warehouse is being used and how it works.

This will be posted on another bowling "ballreview" website so you can track my progress since this is likly to be blocked or deleted by PURDUEPAUL who thinks I cannot make this product or thinks the opposite and doesn't want the information getting out.

Paul clearly stated why he locked the post. He did not delete the post or ban you, and he has the tools to do so. It is pretty bad form to come to someone's site and try to get information to build a cheesy knock-off of their product. THAT is why the post was locked and you were asked not to resurrect it on this site.
=======================================================
RevZ
kidlost2000
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5.5
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 300
Heavy Oil Ball: Wicked Siege, Perfection X
Medium Oil Ball: Wicked Siege x2 Speed Master
Light Oil Ball: Slingshot, Wicked Siege
Preferred Company: Brunswick/Revolution, Morich

Post by kidlost2000 »

I'm not here to go after Mo or anyone else. But I'm going to continue with my project and post on it else where.
"today I went shopping and talk is still cheap"
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

kidlost2000 wrote:Since the admin PURDUEPAUL locked it and advised aginst bringing it up on this site again i don't see this last long.

Paul, Mo, Steve and John moderate Mo & Friends only.
I havent locked your thread here, until now.

I was hoping some members in this thread would talk some sense into you as to why the information you requested was inappropriate.

I think its very unwise to to upset some of the industry's best, you never know when you will need some professional advice.

As far as this comment you had on BR:
BallReviews wrote:They have to protect the best thing they have going for the site which is Mo.
Any website lucky enough to have Mo, Paul, Steve, and John collectively would have them as the best thing going for it.
We do whats right here, and whether or not you want to see that is an entirely different conversation.

You've been here what? a week? less? You havent seen the passion and time these guys put in everyday on here to move the sport forward and give every member here and opportunity to get the most out of their game.

Since you're posting this "product" as you say, on a different website, I am locking this thread as it has no future merit on this website.