Callus / Brown Burn Mark on Thumb, Pain in Sides of Fingers

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Callus / Brown Burn Mark on Thumb, Pain in Sides of Fingers

Post by MattInTheHat »

I was going to piggyback this on a couple of other recently posts with similar issues, but decided to just go ahead and start my own single post with all my info since it is slightly different.

I've got a brown burn mark in the middle of my thumb. I'm wondering if this is caused by either too much forward pitch, or too much squeezing (though I really really think I'm not squeezing much most of the time), or maybe a combination of the two. I also have a little bit of a callus to the right side of the brown mark which used to be worse than it is now.

My specs are 4-1/4" middle finger, 4-5/16" ring finger, no inserts, 1/4" reverse in fingers, and on most my balls my thumb hole is 57/64" 060 (slugged) with 3/8" forward and a little too much bevel. I have one ball that is recently re-drilled with a 7/8" 090 thumb with less bevel that seems to be a better fit on an average day though the oval might be a bit too large (I think I'm closer to 075), and that ball only has 1/4" forward in the thumb and 1/16" reverse in the fingers. The brown mark started a long time ago, though I'm not sure if it was there before going to 3/8" forward, and since I don't use the 1/4" forward ball exclusively I can't say if that is helping or hurting the problem. The callus has definitely gone down some recently, but again I can't say if this is because of the 1/4" forward ball or something else.

The pain in my fingers is on the right sides, only in a very small area as is circled in the photo. This happens with any of my balls and I have tried changing my lateral and reverse pitches a couple times to try to fix this, but that hasn't helped (at least, it hasn't completely gone away). It is also something that doesn't always happen and I can usually feel it during my swing when it does happen, which is why I think it is more an issue with my hand position or something else during the swing than a fit issue, but I'm not sure. Some days I barely feel any pain, other days it is pretty bad after a couple of games and the skin to the side of my nail will be slightly broken and rough (though never bleeds). When this happens that area of my fingers will be slightly swollen and tender as well. Also, this more often affects my middle finger than my ring finger, and is always more prevalent on my middle finger even when my ring finger is also sore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iheres
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Callus / Brown Burn Mark on Thumb, Pain in Sides of Fingers

Post by iheres »

I will try some lateral pitches to the area where you have the problems, in other words to the right on both fingers,,,also using inserts will help relieve the soreness. As for your thumb less forward will help,,, say 1/8.