Resurfacing cracks

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

asdfg68plus1

Resurfacing cracks

Post by asdfg68plus1 »

Hey, I would really like to get one of my balls resurfaced, but it has a few cracks in it, and there is a plug that is chipping out a lot, so I was wondering, does anyone know if the cracks and chipping would affect the resurface at all?
charlest

Re: Resurfacing cracks

Post by charlest »

Depending on the size of the cracks, I'd see your driller and ask if they need to be filled n first BEFORE trying to re-surface the whoel ball.

Also the size of the chips and if they're close to the track and flare rings could affect the roll to some degree. Larger one may also need to be filled in first.

Since you use the ball now and don't mention their effect, I assume they're small. Let the driller check their sizes out first and tell you if he needs to fill them in.

Then do the resurface. and when you do don't try to totally smoooth out every chip/scratch. You won't have enough ball left. :D
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"
asdfg68plus1

Post by asdfg68plus1 »

Alright, I wasn't sure if cracks and chips could be filled in. If I get all the cracks and the chip filled in, would I be able to get it redrilled, or would the vibration still make it fall apart? Also, I wouldn't be the one resurfacing it, I would have the pro shop guy do it.
charlest

Post by charlest »

asdfg68plus1 wrote:Alright, I wasn't sure if cracks and chips could be filled in. If I get all the cracks and the chip filled in, would I be able to get it redrilled, or would the vibration still make it fall apart? Also, I wouldn't be the one resurfacing it, I would have the pro shop guy do it.
Not sure why you would think "vibration would still make it fall apart"?

Once it's filled in properly with the same material used for plugging holes (Urethane), it should be fine, unless your pro shop did not do a good job.
Right handed
Speed: 13.5 -14.5 at pin deck
Rev Rate: 275 - 350
Axis rotation: 45*
Axis tilt: 17*
PAP: 5" x 0"