Help with calluses and broken nail on fingers

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Athery
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 7/8
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70

Help with calluses and broken nail on fingers

Post by Athery »

Hi guys, I am new to this forum.

(Viewing from back of my palm) On the right side of both my middle and ring fingers have thick calluses, and after 3games, it would both felt like swollen. The nail on my ring is also slightly broken on its right side. It was as if when I'm holding and releasing the ball the pressure was more on the right sides of both fingers and not the middle.
My pitch was : middle = < - 1/4 , ring = 3/8 -> then due to the pain and calluses I adjusted to : Middle = 1/16 -> , ring = 1/2 ->
And yet, the pain is still there.

Do I have to add more pitch to right? by how much? or,
Is it a span issue? (my current span for both fingers is 4 9/16)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

(ps: I am still figuring out how to attach the picture of my fingers. Hope the link below works)

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5137/fingersore.jpg
Last edited by Athery on May 8th, 2010, 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Re: Help with calluses and broken nail on fingers

Post by MattInTheHat »

I'm very interested in the answer to this. I too have had a similar problem and was just talking about it with a teammate last night. I'm right handed (I'm guessing you are as well), and mine is usually only on the right side of my middle finger, just to the side of the edge of my nail, and extends back about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch. My teammate mentioned her fingers hurt in the same place as yours and she throws a backup ball, and I've noticed I tend to lean my hand over to the right during my swing which would generate a similar type of pressure as a backup ball release. When my finger gets sore I can feel the ball resting on it during my swing, and despite my trying to move my finger to relieve that pressure (in the middle of the swing!), I'm usually not able to. In my case I'm not sure if that is the only reason why, I've tried a couple of different pitches, hole sizes, and spans over the last year and haven't been able to completely eliminate the problem, which is why I think for me it has more to do with how I bowl than with my fit. In your case it could be a little of both, fit and bowling style. I'm definitely open to anything that might help get rid of the problem completely (besides cutting off my fingers and learning to bowl left handed) so any suggestions from Mo or John that I haven't already tried I will give a shot.

I don't remember exactly what my pitches are at, I know at one time I had my middle at 1/4 left and ring at 1/2 right, both at 1/4 reverse, but not sure if that is where they are now (I know I have less reverse in 1 ball). I will check when I get into the shop.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Help with calluses and broken nail on fingers

Post by Mo Pinel »

Athery wrote:Hi guys, I am new to this forum.

(Viewing from back of my palm) On the right side of both my middle and ring fingers have thick calluses, and after 3games, it would both felt like swollen. The nail on my ring is also slightly broken on its right side. It was as if when I'm holding and releasing the ball the pressure was more on the right sides of both fingers and not the middle.
My pitch was : middle = < - 1/4 , ring = 3/8 -> then due to the pain and calluses I adjusted to : Middle = 1/16 -> , ring = 1/2 ->
And yet, the pain is still there.

Do I have to add more pitch to right? by how much? or,
Is it a span issue? (my current span for both fingers is 4 9/16)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Post pictures, please. It will require pitch adjustments and probably shortenin g of the span for the finger with the nail somewhat broken.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)