Oval thumb inserts

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Oval thumb inserts

Post by kellytehuna »

After trying to work the thumb slug out to an oval tonight and coming close, but no cigar, I was thinking about ordering a few Pro V2 oval inserts. However, I'm unsure as to what size I should get. Mo put the pilot hole size down at 55/64", but my thumb size is around 61/64". Do I order a 55/64", or a 61/64"?

I really want to invest in a mill, but that will have to wait for now. That's $10k I just don't have, right now. :cry:
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Oval thumb inserts

Post by elgavachon »

you might check into customized thumbs. you make a copy of your favorite drill hole and then the slugs you install already have the hole with bevels and everything. you can buy the kit fairly cheap compared to a new drill-press.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote:you might check into customized thumbs. you make a copy of your favorite drill hole and then the slugs you install already have the hole with bevels and everything. you can buy the kit fairly cheap compared to a new drill-press.

In Kelly's case, a thumb molding kit is a quick fix. He has to work out one ball for each customer perfectly and then make a mold of it. Use Ultimate Wizard plug to make the molds. It's the best. Make sure the thumb hole has a least two pieces of tape in it before you mold. Then remove two pieces of tape before you make the mold so they can be added after the thumb mold is made. This allows for all situations as your thumb goes up and down.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
robert
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: circle

Post by robert »

kellytehuna wrote:After trying to work the thumb slug out to an oval tonight and coming close, but no cigar, I was thinking about ordering a few Pro V2 oval inserts. However, I'm unsure as to what size I should get. Mo put the pilot hole size down at 55/64", but my thumb size is around 61/64". Do I order a 55/64", or a 61/64"?

I really want to invest in a mill, but that will have to wait for now. That's k I just don't have, right now. :cry:
I haven't used them, however I've been told they're a bit "sticky" being plastic.
I would suggest getting both and trying them out, the cost per insert is not very high.
However if you were to choose, I reckon it would be best to start with the smaller, and work it out a bit if needed (although I haven't tried working out the plastic, I assume it is possible)