Reusing ball plug shavings

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

KWagner1977
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Reusing ball plug shavings

Post by KWagner1977 »

I was talking to a pro shop guy tonight and he was telling me about how he saves his ball plug shavings/ball material from drilling into the ball and then reuses it as filler inside of holes that need to be plugged.

To me this sounds kooky. I can understand using "cubes" but the left over shavings? Wouldn't they be too thin and create air pockets or cause problems.

This is what this guys idea of going "green" is.

Any thoughts on this kooky idea.
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Re: Reusing ball plug shavings

Post by StrikeTheory »

I could see possibly grinding the shavings into a mash to mix with where you are plugging the inner core material, but not the outer area that is visible, as it would look terrible.

I'm not sure about how others drill, but when I empty my vac all of the shavings are coated pretty heavily with the inner/outer core material. I'm pretty sure epoxy doesn't tend to stick well to surfaces that are dusty.

They do a similiar practice with sawdust when doing coves with resin in marine applications, which leads into my next question.

Why not sell bags of outer core material that can be mixed with our resins to further extend them? I do my holes in 2 phases anyhow, to avoid cracking. It would be pretty sweet to only use 1 pump and 1 measure of core to fill the inner void, instead of 2 pumps with waste.

You would fill up to the coverstock area with your untinted resin/core material, then do your final stage as normal with tinting.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

I use cubes in most of my plugs, but wouldn't use shavings. -- JohnP
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

KWagner1977 wrote:I was talking to a pro shop guy tonight and he was telling me about how he saves his ball plug shavings/ball material from drilling into the ball and then reuses it as filler inside of holes that need to be plugged.

To me this sounds kooky. I can understand using "cubes" but the left over shavings? Wouldn't they be too thin and create air pockets or cause problems.

This is what this guys idea of going "green" is.

Any thoughts on this kooky idea.

Cubes are cool, but shavings?

He's nuts. I would stick to the tried and true directions that come on the bottle.
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

rmack wrote:
Cubes are cool, but shavings?

He's nuts. I would stick to the tried and true directions that come on the bottle.
The idea of shavings kind of scare me. :o 100% agree with the cubes though.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Vendetta
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 3/8 up
Speed: 16 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 210
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 75

Post by Vendetta »

This is slightly off the focus of the thread, but involves ball/plug shavings.

Ball shavings are an excellent tool to "dry" the sliding pad when someone has stepped in water (wet). Rub the shavings into the sliding sole and it soaks up the moisture and the shoe can be used again in minutes.

We recently used some ball shavings for a "home-made" grip sack. Its still being tested, but seems to work very well. The only disadvantage so far is that it may be "too" absorbent.
KWagner1977
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by KWagner1977 »

The great thing about innovation is that it might not always make sense but we are at least thinking of new ways to reuse and recycle what we have.

I think the ball shavings idea is kooky, but i give the guy credit for innovation and trying to eliminate waste.