lateral finger pitches

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

lateral finger pitches

Post by J_w73 »

How important are and what is the effect of different lateral finger pitches? I have both my fingers the same .. forgot what the numbers are but it is just so the fingers holes drill into the ball parallel to eachother.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
RedRiverCoach
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 over 3/8 up
Speed: 17.5
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Prodigy
Medium Oil Ball: awesome finish
Light Oil Ball: Reign
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: lateral finger pitches

Post by RedRiverCoach »

This is a topic for Paul or Mo I am new to drilling but a standard is 3/8 - 3/8, on conventional many use 1/8 - 5/8 but too much or too or to little can cause finger pain.I would wait for the experts.I have used different pitches for people with stiff joints or finger pain but unless your one of the wizards this can often be trial and error(this has been addressed in another post)If your ball was drilled by someone with a mill who sets it to 0* and moves the ball to the drill point it is most likely 1/2 - 1/2.
Laugh,Love, Live life's to short to hold grudges

In the bag
Storm Prodigy
Morich Awesome Finish
Storm Reign
Hammer Jigsaw
Columbia White dot
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

RedRiverCoach wrote:This is a topic for Paul or Mo I am new to drilling but a standard is 3/8 - 3/8, on conventional many use 1/8 - 5/8 but too much or too or to little can cause finger pain.I would wait for the experts.I have used different pitches for people with stiff joints or finger pain but unless your one of the wizards this can often be trial and error(this has been addressed in another post)If your ball was drilled by someone with a mill who sets it to 0* and moves the ball to the drill point it is most likely 1/2 - 1/2.
There are NO STANDARD LATERAL PITCHES! Every hand needs the proper lateral pitches. Lateral pitches should start out matching the structure of the hand and then can be adjusted by performance fitting to change ball reaction.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
RedRiverCoach

Post by RedRiverCoach »

Mo Pinel wrote: There are NO STANDARD LATERAL PITCHES! Every hand needs the proper lateral pitches. Lateral pitches should start out matching the structure of the hand and then can be adjusted by performance fitting to change ball reaction.
I apologize I should have worded differently,most common or most common I've encountered.bowlers are picky even when I've suggested a different pitch or span change they don't want to change due to not liking the change in feel.
I will be careful of my of my wording in the future... Thanks Mo

In the bag
Storm Prodigy
Morich Awesome Finish
Storm Reign
Hammer Jigsaw
Columbia White dot
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

RedRiverCoach wrote: I apologize I should have worded differently,most common or most common I've encountered.bowlers are picky even when I've suggested a different pitch or span change they don't want to change due to not liking the change in feel.
I will be careful of my of my wording in the future... Thanks Mo
Sorry if I sound so adamant, but I hear so much BAD information that I am sensitive to it. My apologies, if my tone was too strong. Bowlers are often afraid of their own shadow. Trying to fit the hand properly can be an exercise in futility. This is the business part of ball drilling. Try your best to get them into the right fit, but give them what they want instead of jeopardizing the sale. I make a note on the sheet that I think the grip should have been changed. If you think it's hard to make grip adjustments, try to get them to move their feet. Now that's a struggle!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
kmeadows09
THS Average: 200
Speed: 15-17

Post by kmeadows09 »

Mo Pinel wrote: If you think it's hard to make grip adjustments, try to get them to move their feet. Now that's a struggle!
So sad, but so true. I can't get a high school team that only averages in the 150's to listen to my adjustments.
Don't blame the mechanic, Don't blame the ball, Don't blame the oil, Don't blame the house, blame yourself.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

kmeadows09 wrote: So sad, but so true. I can't get a high school team that only averages in the 150's to listen to my adjustments.
Sounds just like my junior travel team. Recap from this weekend...

Game 1- they get smoked like a ham. Lost by 194. I call them over...
"Okay you've had one game, what area of the lane should you using..."
"...<blank stares>"
"Alrighty then. You two play here, you two play here...and you stay where you are, you have a good reaction."
"okay coach"

Game 2- win by 76 pins. Meeting number two...
"Good job team...here are you adjustments"
"okay coach"
NOT ONE OF THE FIVE MAKE THE ADJUSTMENTS...Carry goes south and it's 9 count after 9 count. Next comes the breakdown in spare shooting, which we practice every week!!! (they are going to feel the burn in practice tomorrow!!!) I'm behind the settee burning up inside. I'm FURIOUS!!! Apparently my internal fury radiated down to them, or they noticed the veins bulging out of my neck. They rallied in the 8th, 9th and 10th but lost the match by 17 sticks.

Final meeting...
"How did you lost that last game..."
"Bowler #1 had a bad game..."
"yes he did, but you bowl as team. you all should have picked him up"
"<silence>"
"you failed to adjust. you lost focus, missed easy spares. spares are essential gentlemen."
"However you rallied to the finish. I like that intensity. That's how you need to play the entire match."
RedRiverCoach

Post by RedRiverCoach »

Mo,no need to apologize,I am hear to learn and as I said best to listen to the experts...
The knowledge I have gained in these post means a lot to me but I am just a beginner.I have drilled over 60 balls in 3 months mostly for our youth and seniors but I still learn on every ball and hope I will continue to learn every day of my life.
Thanks for the time and lessons you have shared.

In the bag
Storm Prodigy
Morich Awesome Finish
Storm Reign
Hammer Jigsaw
Columbia White dot