Forward pitch and span

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

DanTheMan
Preferred Company: Track

Forward pitch and span

Post by DanTheMan »

When increasing forward pitch to the thumb, how much reduction in span should you expect?

I would like to experiment with forward pitch with my thumb as I often have problems with my thumb slipping in the hole during my backswing, causing me to grab at the ball. At the moment I am using a 4 1/2" span and 1/4 reverse in the thumb.

I thought I would ask here first though to see if people with the experiance could tell me what works and what doesn't before actually punching holes in a ball. :)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Forward pitch and span

Post by Mo Pinel »

DanTheMan wrote:When increasing forward pitch to the thumb, how much reduction in span should you expect?

I would like to experiment with forward pitch with my thumb as I often have problems with my thumb slipping in the hole during my backswing, causing me to grab at the ball. At the moment I am using a 4 1/2" span and 1/4 reverse in the thumb.

I thought I would ask here first though to see if people with the experiance could tell me what works and what doesn't before actually punching holes in a ball. :)

The span pitch relationship that I teach in the Advanced class is:

1/16" change of span for 1/4" change in thumb pitch
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
clatara
THS Average: 200

Re: Forward pitch and span

Post by clatara »

DanTheMan wrote:When increasing forward pitch to the thumb, how much reduction in span should you expect?

Before going anywhere......are you sure your thumb hole isn't too big? :D
may be you have a round and your thumb is ovalshaped.... ;)