Mini timelapse of my bowling ball cracking !

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Mini timelapse of my bowling ball cracking !

Post by TheJesus »

This ball cracked a few years ago. Hammer replaced it. However i also had it repaired. It held for 2-3 years, and now it cracked again, but on a different area. RIP Scandal Pearl.

[meadi][/media]

How many balls have you had that cracked? I'm at 4 so far.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Mini timelapse of my bowling ball cracking !

Post by JimH »

You may have a problem with where you keep the ball when it is not being used. For example I know one case of a bowler who kept the ball in the trunk or boot of the car when it was not being used. In the winter the cold weather made the coverstock more fragile. The bowler took the cold ball directly to the lane and started to bowl. While it is normal practice for people to warm up before participating in a sport it is sometimes necessary for the equipment to acclimatise to the conditions.
greggas
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 x 5/8 up
Speed: 18mph foul line to arrows
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11.5
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Gem, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Gravity Evolve, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Light Oil Ball: Storm IQ Tour, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by greggas »

[
How many balls have you had that cracked? I'm at 4 so far.
[/quote]

I've had 6 crack in the last 5 years.
Track Rising
Global Link
Ebonite Gamebreaker2
Roto Grip Wrecker
Hammer Road Hawg
Storm !Q Tour

They stay in the house when not in use (70-85 degrees), but the humidity changes a lot (less than 5% to over 75%). Would that have any effect?
Greg
USBC# 1840-6702

"2 wrongs don't make a right,... but 3 lefts do".
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

[/quote]They stay in the house when not in use (70-85 degrees), but the humidity changes a lot (less than 5% to over 75%). Would that have any effect?
[/quote]
I am not aware of humidity causing a problem. Perhaps a ball manufacturer would answer the question.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Text that accompanies the video at National Bowling Academy link

Bowling balls are an investment. They require regular maintenance and upkeep to get the maximum performance out of them. Cracked bowling balls are useless. In this free video, Scott Pohl, owner of On Track Pro Shop, explains why a bowling ball can crack and how to prevent it from happening.

Cracked Bowling Balls
Below are some factors that go into why a bowling ball cracks:

– Environment/Climate
– Phasing
– Sweating
Cores and coverstocks are made to expand and contract as temperatures change. Extreme cold and extreme heat can make a bowling ball crack. Phasing is a chemical reaction that makes the bowling ball change colors as it adjusts from being cold to room temperature. Sweating is another chemical reaction that occurs when a bowling ball is removed from hot temperatures and brought into room temperature. You will see oil on the bowling ball and will need to wipe it off.

A bowling ball generally doesn’t crack because you forgot to bring it in from the trunk of your car once in a while. It cracks because of a cumulative effect from repeat behavior or improper storage.

Crack Prevention
If you bowl in an environment where it is extremely cold or hot outside, do your best to get your bowling ball back to room temperature prior to throwing any shots with it. This requires getting to the bowling center earlier to allow enough time to make this happen.

Enemy number one for bowling balls is moisture. If you are storing your bowling ball in a garage, keep the bowling ball wrapped in a towel. This helps the bowling ball avoid direct contact with moisture, keeping your bowling ball safe from cracking.

Watch more great videos from National Bowling Academy on “Bowling Ball Maintenance” and “Maximizing Your Bowling Ball’s Performance” to keep up with regular maintenance and help avoid cracked bowling balls.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TheJesus

Post by TheJesus »

JimH wrote: July 17th, 2021, 1:15 pm You may have a problem with where you keep the ball when it is not being used. For example I know one case of a bowler who kept the ball in the trunk or boot of the car when it was not being used. In the winter the cold weather made the coverstock more fragile. The bowler took the cold ball directly to the lane and started to bowl. While it is normal practice for people to warm up before participating in a sport it is sometimes necessary for the equipment to acclimatise to the conditions.
I usually have in a basement or in the house. I agree with you, bowling balls should be given sometime to get to room temp.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
TheJesus

Post by TheJesus »

I've had 6 crack in the last 5 years.
Track Rising
Global Link
Ebonite Gamebreaker2
Roto Grip Wrecker
Hammer Road Hawg
Storm !Q Tour

They stay in the house when not in use (70-85 degrees), but the humidity changes a lot (less than 5% to over 75%). Would that have any effect?
I think so, yes. Also they get more protected if they are sealed from air, and kept in constant temps.