How to Layout and Drill a Bowling Ball - Pro Shop

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

How to Layout and Drill a Bowling Ball - Pro Shop

Post by bowl1820 »

Ronald Hickland Jr--Today we walkthrough the entire process of laying out and drilling a bowling ball.
We will talk about how to bevel the holes and install finger grips in a future video.

"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Glenn

Re: How to Layout and Drill a Bowling Ball - Pro Shop

Post by Glenn »

I always enjoy watching Ron's videos, The part about thumb hole drilling brought up several thoughts.

I remember Randy Stoughton saying he doesn't drill round thumb holes - ever (the human thumbs are just degrees of oval).
I can't put my finger on when I heard this, but Del Warren said his secret to drilling oval thumb holes is using mill bits as they are better designed for this purpose.

Years ago, the local pro shop wouldn't/couldn't drill ovals when I asked. And now that he can, there are still a lot of round thumb holes being drilled.
The logic seems to be to drill round thumb holes and use (lots of) tape to get the fit you want - not for me as I have a very flat, wide thumb...
My experience is that when I had an oval thumb drilled and it needed it touched up to improve the fit, I lost the ability to get it replicated without using switch grips and a mold ($$).

I have gone to all oval thumb inserts of an appropriate size, and they seem to work well for me.
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."