Plugging resin

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Plugging resin

Post by Viper »

Hello. What would be the difference between an epoxy resin bought at a woodworking or hobby store and the stuff sold by bowling supply shops? Is the stuff for plugging specially formulated? Thanks,

Joe/Viper
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
MineralitePaul
Preferred Company: Innovative

Re: Plugging resin

Post by MineralitePaul »

Household epoxy-based resins are really not suitable for plugging bowling balls. Firstly, they are too viscous and have too short of a pot life to be able to use any type of color matching, get good clean pours and allow trapped air bubbles to escape. They also cure with a greenish yellow tint that is not very attractive at all. Additionally, they cure so fast that if used to fill a low surface-area-to-volume ratio cavity – such as a bowling ball thumb or large weight hole – they will most likely crack due to the excessive heat generated in such a short time. Household epoxies are generally designed to be used to cement objects together in an otherwise geometrically flat thin layer which has a high surface area to volume ratio. A higher exothermic reaction rate is designed into the product to compensate for the high heat loss rate typical in such a geometric configuration; a thin layer would never cure with the lower exothermic rate of ball plug resin. Conversely, ball plug needs to cure slowly to avoid overheating for the opposite reason.

All of these factors were taken into consideration when the first ball plug based on epoxy resins were introduced into the market. They have since been Improved upon and are state of the art for the purpose.

If you’re looking to plug some weight holes without the need to visit a pro shop, you might get away with household epoxy with substandard results if you do it in multiple pores. I think that might be what you’re after.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Something to note also is the product needs to be on the Approved Products list: Ball Plug to be legal.
https://www.bowl.com/Equipment_Specs/Ad ... Ball_Plug/

Be that as it may, IF your just wanting to do a simple patch like a gouge or where it's broke out around the finger/thumb holes. There's a product called "Devcon Plastic Welder" which is now known as "ITW Plastic Welder" I got it at Autozone. A guy at a Pro shop posted about years back for a DIY fix.

So I tried it and it worked, I fixed cracked bridges and around the finger holes on my balls several times and it held up great. It cut down and sanded just like any other plug. Now the guy said you could color it with regular ball plug colors also, That I don't know I never tried it.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
MineralitePaul
Preferred Company: Innovative

Post by MineralitePaul »

Regarding the product approval, good point Bowl1820. BTW, is the DEVCON Plastic welder clear? I seem to remember using that product for other purposes years ago. How long is the cure time for that?

I’ve also used the UV cured resins to repair deep gouges. It works well and is hard as hell. It’s a much better product than cyanoacrylate/accelerant based product Quick Patch. Loctite make several different types that are a “professional grade” Product. However, I find the type that fly tiers use to work exceedingly well. When repairing a gouge this way, you must under cut the gouge slightly with the tip of a bevel knife or other tool to give the UV cured resin something to key into.

By the way, I now use my quick patch Cyanoacrylate to glue in thumbs slugs. I find that it cures just a little bit slower than other products designed for the purpose, and gives me plenty of time to position a slug or a thumb mould grip
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

MineralitePaul wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:57 pm Regarding the product approval, good point Bowl1820. BTW, is the DEVCON Plastic welder clear? I seem to remember using that product for other purposes years ago. How long is the cure time for that?
The only colors I knew of were White, Black and Tan (Creme), according to the package it set in 15 min., sandable in 30 min. That was pretty close it took a little longer when it was cooler though. It's a pretty solid material, I used a file and a bevel knife (I didn't have a plug cutter) to cut it down, then sand it.

There's also another product I used also, J-B Weld Plastic Bonder Product #50139 which is the same thing afaik , It's a urethane according to J-B

Here's a sample I did on my Girlfriends balls. The black is the J-B plastic bonder
ballfix_cr.jpg
wdfingfix_zps28d0fc7f.jpg
wdthumfix_zps3bf4e9b4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

Thanks to one and all for your responses. I've been using a product from US Composites, which is not on any list, but I recall the company said they supplied product to bowling supply companies, and recommended to me the formula to use. I've had good results with the stuff, takes pigment well (which they also sell), and cures slowly. Never a problem with it cracking. Definitely not a quick plug. I usually let it go for 24 hours before tooling it. I have also used a two-part epoxy resin from a model airplane store for small patch work and gluing in slugs/outersleeves. It takes pigment well as long as it's black and cures in about 15 minutes. Again, I'm not in the business so I let anything I'm working with go for 24 hours before coming back to it. Going forward I'll have to start using product from the approved list to stay in good conscience. So if anyone has a preference for something off that list that would best suit a DIYer, please let me know. Again, thanks for the help. Joe/Viper
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera