Bowling Ball Surfaces

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Bowling Ball Surfaces

Post by bowl1820 »

TheJesus wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 9:17 pm In any case, everyone uses always the same hand, so everyone uses the same method and doesn't run the risk of getting different results. Ok unless someone is ambidextrous and changes hands between ball sides for some reason :P
Not necessarily always, I'm right handed and not ambidextrous. I use my right hand mainly, But I also use my left sometimes to apply a more solid firmer pressure when I think I need it. I also use both hands sometimes (which I have also seen used in pro shops many times.) usually when I'm needing to remove a lot surface faster during full resurfacing (ie: removing gouges, smoothing patch jobs etc. before putting on a final surface.) or if I'm in a hurry and want get done faster.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

bowl1820 wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 10:24 pm Not necessarily always, I'm right handed and not ambidextrous. I use my right hand mainly, But I also use my left sometimes to apply a more solid firmer pressure when I think I need it. I also use both hands sometimes (which I have also seen used in pro shops many times.) usually when I'm needing to remove a lot surface faster during full resurfacing (ie: removing gouges, smoothing patch jobs etc. before putting on a final surface.) or if I'm in a hurry and want get done faster.
I think you are probably the minority, most people use the same hand. Personally i have never seen anyone use different hands or even 2 hands. In any case, all of these can me measured to a degree that is satisfactory.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

TheJesus wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 11:12 pm I think you are probably the minority, most people use the same hand. Personally i have never seen anyone use different hands or even 2 hands. In any case, all of these can me measured to a degree that is satisfactory.
Yes I'm probably in the minority alright, I've started sanding balls (in a sink by hand) way back when. So I've seen a lot of different techniques used, many different products, abrasives and information from many sources. So I incorporate a lot that into how I sand and it may not be what others do.

So use what info you can and discard the rest.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TheJesus

Post by TheJesus »

bowl1820 wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 12:05 am Yes I'm probably in the minority alright, I've started sanding balls (in a sink by hand) way back when. So I've seen a lot of different techniques used, many different products, abrasives and information from many sources. So I incorporate a lot that into how I sand and it may not be what others do.
So use what info you can and discard the rest.
Thanks, it was nice talking to you. If you have any interesting/useful ideas you would like to test, feel free to mention them and if i can i will. 8-)
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

not in the minority. I did the same thing, and the guy who taught me did the same adding BOTH hands when he wanted to increase friction.

Listen - just because you own a desktop scanner and "started a Youtube channel about it" - be wary of contradicting someone who has been DOING this for literally decades. I own a TON of things but it doesn't make me an expert in them. I had this same (or similar) discussion about another guy who has a Youtube channel, desktop scanner, etc. and all of a sudden knew more than anyone around them.

I'll take the word of bowl1820, MegaMav, etc. any day.
TheJesus

Post by TheJesus »

boomer wrote: October 5th, 2020, 4:00 pm not in the minority. I did the same thing, and the guy who taught me did the same adding BOTH hands when he wanted to increase friction.
Sorry, but you misunderstood. I said he was the minority in CHANGING hands on SINGLE-hand use...(not using 2 hands to increase friction..)

And i'm sorry, but then you are making several wrong assumptions:
1.I never claimed nor implied that owning a tool makes one an expert.
2.Just because i have doubts about something (that NOBODY has ever measured...), doesn't mean i am disrespecting anyone...In fact, i said that if changing hands does create a different effect, this would be measurable. What's wrong with that? :shock:
3.Doing something for years doesn't make one infallible/perfect.

Other than Ronald Hickland from CtD, and the USBC channel, I don't know of any other channel that is about bowling surfaces specifically and/or has a scanner (and he is not some random guy, he was designing ball cores for several years). Do you have a link/name of the channel you are referring to? Also if "that other guy you talked with" was a "knowitall", has nothing to do with me. Please be fair, and judge me by what I myself say. I never showed any of that.

Look, I am trying to to help the sport in my own way, spending out of my pocket, and my time, and i keep a low profile. So i don't "get" your unfair criticism really......I'm just trying to be as scientific as possible. So its ok to have faith in some select people, but even they themselves would tell you that the scientific method of arriving at the truth, is by observations and measurements and facts. Not by "opinions" or "impressions" with no data. Mo and any other serious science guy would agree as well.

Anyway...No hard feelings from me. :)