Damage to the bowling ball, bowling alley says never seen anything like it before

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Damage to the bowling ball, bowling alley says never seen anything like it before

Post by krava »

this is a track (forgot the name but it is a plastic ball with a weight block in it)

I am not sure when the damage got there but it was tonight.

The question is if they don't fix it, can you buy a urethane ball and use it as a spare but also when needed, put surface on it and use it like it is suppose to be used? or does that put wear and tear on the urethane ball and not recommended?

any idea what happened? they said it could have been a ball slammed into a bolt but he talked about it would be a reverse image then what is on the ball.
krava
Probation
Probation

Re: Damage to the bowling ball, bowling alley says never seen anything like it before

Post by krava »

that is a track spare plus
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Damage to the bowling ball, bowling alley says never seen anything like it before

Post by bowl1820 »

Hard to tell from that pic, looks like some thread imprints on the left maybe. Looks like something stuck in the crack on the right.

It can be fixed just drill it out and plug it.

Yes you can use a urethane as a spare ball, many do nothing wrong with that.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Bowling ball can't be fixed according to the proshop there. The bowling alley offered me $30 for replacement even though it cost $144 drilled. I learned that if you buy a bowling ball, throw it once and it gets tore up at the lanes. They can replace the ball but then you have to pay for the cost to redrill another one. They found the chunk of the bowling ball back in the back. I forgot what they said had happend. They said my ball was allready cracking and they know how hard I throw it etc.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I have been using the BTU for a spare, that might be a better choice, doesn't spread oil down the lanes and it goes dead straight also.
chan300
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by chan300 »

I have seen this type of damage before. The ball definitely struck a sharp edge causing the damage. Typically this type of damage is not covered under warranty by the manufacturer. However EBI Polyester balls have been made with less thickness in their cover stocks. I ordered a Columbia Blue Dot that only had 1/8th of an inch of cover stock. I believe this has led more issues of damage than would be expected. I have had a number of Ebonite Maxims where breakage was sustained. Fortunately my distributor was able to replace them under warranty.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

The bowling alley that it happend at said it couldn't be fixed offered me $30. I took it to another place and they said it could be fixed. The problem with that is that bowling alley is on base and they are shut down and who knows what is going to happen. my cousin has like 3-4 bowling balls suppose to be fixed and we don't know what is going to happen with those.