How to check if thumb is right

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

EckoRob
Preferred Company: brunswick

How to check if thumb is right

Post by EckoRob »

I am having major thumb issues.. No matter what I do my thumb is coming out at the same time as my fingers. Today I even stood with the ball to my side and put no pressure on my hand and the ball just hung there..... Even if I do not squeeze the ball hand the ball tends to hang on the top left of my thumb.. Right now I am an 1/8 reverse and a 1/8 lateral. How can I check to see if this is the right position of my thumb hole. Is there other methods of finding out how the thumb and fingers should be pitched? Instead of the T Method?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: How to check if thumb is right

Post by JMerrell »

Hi Ecko,

I reviewed your video again, hard to see the release.
Your downswing appears to be very vertical, hand appears to be more on top of the ball.
The ball almost touches the floor during release.

Try standing a little taller during release, this will help flatten out your downswing.
Fingers and thumb coming out at same time usually indicates the wrist is also slightly broken during release.

Check out the WIKI article on fitting, will answer all your questions on pitches.http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... itting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you use any tape in your thumb hole?

Jim
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

Jim "Fingers and thumb coming out at same time usually indicates the wrist is also slightly broken during release."

When I have a properly fitted thumb hole and pitches correct , the ball will hang on the thumb if dangled by the side with a broken back wrist...Just a slight tilt of the wrist to a more straight relationship and the ball will fall off the thumb with no effort...My first guess would be to look at just keeping the fingers in a stiff position at the time of release..if the fingers break back it all comes off at the same time for me.....Steve S
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Steve said:
When I have a properly fitted thumb hole and pitches correct the ball will hang on the thumb if dangled by the side with a broken back wrist...Just a slight tilt of the wrist to a more straight relationship and the ball will fall off the thumb with no effort...I agree

If the fingers break back it all comes off at the same time for me.....I agree

Ideally a straight wrist position would be a good goal for him.

I've attached a straight wrist vs broken wrist attachment for reference.

Properly fitted ball:
With a straight wrist and a proper fit the ball will come off his hand at release with no effort... as you alluded to.

With a broken wrist the fingers will exit the ball quickly after the thumb (hand on top of the ball). With a bad fit he will have to learn to let go of the ball as it will not want to let go of him.

The WIKI fitting guide will allow him to evaluate his fit.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
EckoRob

Post by EckoRob »

JMerrell wrote:Steve said:
When I have a properly fitted thumb hole and pitches correct the ball will hang on the thumb if dangled by the side with a broken back wrist...Just a slight tilt of the wrist to a more straight relationship and the ball will fall off the thumb with no effort...I agree

If the fingers break back it all comes off at the same time for me.....I agree

Ideally a straight wrist position would be a good goal for him.

I've attached a straight wrist vs broken wrist attachment for reference.

Properly fitted ball:
With a straight wrist and a proper fit the ball will come off his hand at release with no effort... as you alluded to.

With a broken wrist the fingers will exit the ball quickly after the thumb (hand on top of the ball). With a bad fit he will have to learn to let go of the ball as it will not want to let go of him.

The WIKI fitting guide will allow him to evaluate his fit.

Jim
There is the answer I have been looking for... I know a ton of the problem is that my wrist is broken somewhere in the swing... That causes me to get on the top of the ball about the time the ball gets to my ankle.. Now the million dollar question. What could I focus on to get my fingers more firm in the ball.. My hand or wrist position? By the way I use just one to two pieces of white one inch tape. Also could the break of the wrist cause early turn?
EckoRob

Post by EckoRob »

Here is a pic of my fingers over the finger holes with my thumb in the ball... Is it too short?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graaille

Post by Graaille »

Looking at those pics, at least the ring finger has the span actually too long.
Back into Blogging: http://lifeasjasonharris.blogspot.com/ 80% Bowling, 100% me. (oh hold while working on several other projects -- sorry)

The Gathering 2k16, Winston Salem, NC, July 29-31. Just ask me for more info.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

From the pics, I'd say you're 3/16" - 1/4" long on both spans. Could be a function of how you've layed your hand on the ball, can't tell without being there. -- JohnP
RedRiverCoach
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4 over 3/8 up
Speed: 17.5
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Prodigy
Medium Oil Ball: awesome finish
Light Oil Ball: Reign
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by RedRiverCoach »

I would agree from the pics your span is to long but would like to note if you use a wrist brace to correct the broken wrist issue your span should be checked with the brace on.
Laugh,Love, Live life's to short to hold grudges

In the bag
Storm Prodigy
Morich Awesome Finish
Storm Reign
Hammer Jigsaw
Columbia White dot
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

EckoRob"There is the answer I have been looking for... I know a ton of the problem is that my wrist is broken somewhere in the swing... That causes me to get on the top of the ball about the time the ball gets to my ankle.. Now the million dollar question. What could I focus on to get my fingers more firm in the ball.. My hand or wrist position?"

Practice....Sit in a chair with the ball beside you, insert the hand and swing it backwards...
The fore arm is the muscle that needs to be strengthened to make the wrist firm OR buy a wrist devise like a Robby Plus to get the feel of how it should be...Keep the hand behind the ball and as the ball comes forward release the thumb and feel the fingers try to support the ball ....They can't do it but you should feel the pressure of the finger on the ball as the ball rotates forward...It is a mental thing to keep the fingers stiff and let the ball roll off them ...muscle control .....Steve S