Plug cutting jig

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Plug cutting jig

Post by Viper »

Hello! I'm a bowler, not a pro shop operator. Is there a jig out there that will allow me to mount a Dremel tool IOT cut down a plug?

I'm plugging my own balance holes. I've been hand tooling the plug to get to the surface of the ball and then finishing using CAB with various grits to finish. It works, but filing down that plug takes some time. I'd like to use my Dremel tool but to get close to the surface I need something exact/precise. I'm reluctant to do it by hand.

Thanks!

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Re: Plug cutting jig

Post by JohnP »

A lot of shops use a router with the shield you'll see at the link below. Adjust the height of the bit to the surface of the ball, possibly using a height about half the amount you want to remove first, then a finish cut. I'm not sure how (or if) a Dremel tool would work with one. -- JohnP

http://innovativebowling.com/Router-Shield_p_276.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

IF, you are only cutting down a couple ball plugs, one can rig a regular router with 3) 1 1/2" long, round head machine screws with locking nuts (2ea), to create legs for the router. It's a tad messy but it does work even if you have a 2nd person holding the vacuum hose. You have to work slowly and make sure the slots in the screw heads are positioned so they do not scratch your ball.
Viper

Post by Viper »

Thank you John and George. I think I know some one with a router shield, so I'll look at it. Unfortunately, I no longer own a router (but I like the idea of the three machine screws for legs). I think I would use some of those felts pads used to prevent furniture and whatnot from scratching wood floors, etc. placed on the screw heads. Again, appreciate the suggestions.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Viper

Post by Viper »

Update. I visited the Dremel website. They have an router attachment for the tool. It doesn't appear to be very large so not sure how stable it would be, but no matter, I'm going to buy one and see if that either works as is or can be modified in some fashion so it will work.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

Any shield you use will have to be large enough in diameter to cover the entire plug + extra diameter to allow moving the cutter around. That diameter will be very close to the diameter of the shield I gave you the link for.

If you go with the three screws I wouldn't recommend using anything on the screw heads that is compressible, it will be hard to get a consistent depth cut with a jig that can move up and down, even just a little bit. -- JohnP
Viper

Post by Viper »

JohnP wrote:Any shield you use will have to be large enough in diameter to cover the entire plug + extra diameter to allow moving the cutter around. That diameter will be very close to the diameter of the shield I gave you the link for.

If you go with the three screws I wouldn't recommend using anything on the screw heads that is compressible, it will be hard to get a consistent depth cut with a jig that can move up and down, even just a little bit. -- JohnP
You are correct. The diameter of the attachment is not that large. I will have to either plunge the bit into the center and then work it such I can cut down the plug (not all in one pass BTW) OR, I can look to modify the attachment so that I can come at the plug from the side. But doing so might weaken the attachment such that it would be unsafe. I have acquired the attachment, and fitted with bit, it can be adjusted so that it rides just a tad above the surface. In principle this would work for me since I can easily take down what remains with a CAB and my ball spinner.

Will need to give this some more thought/research. I appreciate the dialog.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

By the way, if you were to decide to try the three screws, use carriage bolts instead - they don't have any slots so there's no way to scratch the ball. -- JohnP
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

JohnP wrote:By the way, if you were to decide to try the three screws, use carriage bolts instead - they don't have any slots so there's no way to scratch the ball. -- JohnP
Do carriage bolts come in #10 or #12? Those are the sizes of the screws holding the plastic router base.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

I found 3/4" dia x #10 thread @ the site linked below. A quick trip to a hardware store will show you what's readily available and perhaps you'll find a better alternative. -- JohnP

https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/prod ... d?pid=6001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

Viper wrote:Is there a jig out there that will allow me to mount a Dremel tool IOT cut down a plug
Check this out if you have 3D-printer available:
viewtopic.php?p=97761#p97761
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
Viper

Post by Viper »

VLe wrote:
Check this out if you have 3D-printer available:
viewtopic.php?p=97761#p97761

Thank you! Unfortunately, I do not have access to a 3D printer. (Perhaps I should look around for one.) You mentioned that this was a copy of an inexpensive Chinese jig. Any chance you have a link for that product? I'm thinking it's probably a more convenient/inexpensive route for me to take.

Again, appreciate your help. I enjoy your looking over your link on items you've made via 3D printing.

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up