How to deep clean my bowl

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Bakerboy

How to deep clean my bowl

Post by Bakerboy »

So we dont have a proshop here in pakistan.. I have playedover 400 games on my bowl.. Its storm timeless i want to know whats the best way to clean it.. Dip ot in jot water or use the oven method.. I heard storm balls have a specific way of cleaning but cant find it online thanks
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: How to deep clean my bowl

Post by JohnP »

The oven method is best as long as you have an oven that is specifically designed for bowling balls. A home oven's thermostat isn't accurate enough to assure you won't damage, even melt or burn a bowling ball. -- JohnP
Bakerboy

Post by Bakerboy »

I have a italian nardi oven i dont know if it will work.. If not can injust putnit in hot water? Any specifics to revive the ball?
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

you're looking for hot enough to get the oil out but not hot enough to damage the ball or yourself.

I've always heard 120-130F (49-55C) was best. Tape over or plug your finger and thumbholes, keep the ball off the bottom of the vessel you're heating. I think there's a machine that heats the ball up to 150F, but that's in the scalding range so I stayed away from that. Add a touch of a gentle soap (dish soap) and let sit for 20 minute or so.

At the Storm booth at the USBC Open, they had several of this type of machine, one of which had obviously been used and the water was nasty! LOL Lots of oil on the surface of the water. Ick.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

I have used hot water in a cooler to de-oil my equipment. Get the temp of the water in the cooler to about 120 and leave the ball in it for about an hour. Do not add detergent.
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

Bakerboy wrote:i want to know whats the best way to clean it..
An easy one.. Ultrasonic cleaner. I have a commercial one that costs something like 200euro's. I have used it to some balls more than 10 times and it always does wonders to the ball surface. I would choose that over any oven-method any day.

Some ball manufacturers also have a temperature limit of 125 Fahrenheit to avoid warranty issues. I remember also seeing a 110-limit mentioned somewhere.

viewtopic.php?p=99688#p99688
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand