How much would you pay?

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

JayBird81
Preferred Company: Storm

How much would you pay?

Post by JayBird81 »

So I think I might have overpaid for a recent purchase. I bought a pair of Hammer Boss shoes, a Brunswick TZone and a Storm Hy-Road X. I paid $579.05 including the drilling and grips as well as a thumb slug on the Hy-Road X. I totaled the prices from online and the items are $175 for the shoes, $130 for the Hy-Road X, $45 for the TZone, and the pro shop operator said $40 to drill each ball. Now it has been a few years since I've taken a math class but that comes to $430 without any sales tax. So unless sales tax and his profit margin totals almost $150, I'd say I have been taken for a ride. What are your thoughts? Am I missing something here? Are there other costs for drilling a ball that I'm not accounting for? BTW, this is in USD.
MineralitePaul
Preferred Company: Innovative

Re: How much would you pay?

Post by MineralitePaul »

I think you ahould take that question back to pro ahop operator and let him/her check your math. Any questions bout the cost of services rendered should be directed towards the vendor first, IMHO.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Just a rough estimate.

Hammer Boss shoes: $175
Brunswick TZone: $45
Storm Hy-Road X: $130
2 pairs of finger inserts: $16
1 thumb slug: $10

Drilling 2 balls @$40 ea: $80

sub Total: $456

Lets say 18% shop/distrib. Mark up: $82.08 (which according to a article I read 18% might be low)

subtotal: $538.08

7% Tax: $37.67

Total $575.75

So $579 looks pretty close.

Also if you bought on line you have to factor in the shipping and drilling (which might be higher if your bring a ball in you bought online.)
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

If you got a decent fitting/layout -services also at the same time, i think it is a fair price. A PSO that can value the work little higher should be certain of the service level. Also comparing the internet price's does not give really good reference since the gear requires also some labour cost's for PSO. Usually you get better prices for drilling services when you buy the bowling balls from the same PSO. The PSO get some profit from the gear itself also.

Just for reference. That kind of set could easily cost ovet 700euro's (800USD) here in europe.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
JayBird81
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by JayBird81 »

Good deal. I appreciate the info on the markups. I didn't know that they marked up from the internet prices as well. I know most places will give you a "discount" on the drilling if you purchase from the pro shop so either way they make their markup. I miss the days when I was able to drill my own equipment. :(
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Being able to drill my own equipment, kept me into bowling for years. I just couldn't pay retail after spending time working in a pro shop. The cost of buying the drilling equipment in the early 90's, was far cheaper than paying full retail. After just a couple years the drilling setup has more than paid for the expense initially put out. Today, I believe it's even cheaper to buy everything needed to drill.