Switch grips denied!

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Jenguin81
Preferred Company: Storm

Switch grips denied!

Post by Jenguin81 »

So I recently purchased two new balls from a new pro shop knowing what I wanted and why I wanted it but when I got to the pro shop and asked for switch grips to be put in both my balls the pro shop owner proceeded to tell me that I didn't need them and that the reason for it was because if he fit the ball correctly my thumb and fingers wouldn't swell. I agreed with him but the reason I wanted them was not for swelling due to irritation but because when I travel I find that colder weather and also my weight fluctuations due to hormone imbalance was why I wanted them. He still insisted that I wouldn't need them and thus, I am left frustrated. Is this common for a pro shop owner to tell a bowler what he or she does or doesn't need and do it their own way or are other pro shop owners typically going to trust the bowler to know what they want in their own ball?
MineralitePaul
Preferred Company: Innovative

Re: Switch grips denied!

Post by MineralitePaul »

Yes, it’s very common when the pro shop operator isn’t set up to provide that or similar products. They have to invest in the starter kit which includes a special drill bit for the inner sleeve; that pro shop probably hasn’t.

Find another pro shop and ask them if they provide Switch Grips or any other of the competing products and get them installed. I can’t live without mine. I have Exactication and a mill drill and can reproduce thumbholes too. However, When I have to make a ball change the last thing I want to do is fuss with the new ball’s thumbhole tape when I have been tweaking the other ball’s thumbhole fit all night. I also have multiple inner slugs drilled slightly different because my thumb changes from one day to the next as does yours (that pizza before league can swell up a thumb with all that salt).

When it comes to a non-fit related feature or service, don’t let anyone tell you that you don’t need it.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Switch grips denied!

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome to BowlingChat

I came here nearly 8 years ago for a similar reason. I couldn't find a driller that new the difference between Symmetrical and Asymmetrical balls or how to set up a arsenal with more than one hook shape.
I needed to learn how to do it myself.
I have also been to that shop where you ask for something specific come to pick it up and find that the ball is drilled completely different from what I wanted.
I also use switchgrips and if a driller tried to talk me out of them or refuse to install them I'm definitely going somewhere else.

Find another proshop.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand