New drill press

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Petan

New drill press

Post by Petan »

I'm thinking of replacing my Delta bench model drill press with a floor model and would like to get something that can be slowed down enough to drill metal.
I've narrowed my choices to these three Grizzly's G7944, G7947 or G0482. HF 39955-0VGA or the Steel City 20520 https://mechanicfaq.com/drill-presses-under-200/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Does anyone have any experience or veiws/opinions of these drill presses?
I do have my Bridgeport J head if I need to cut a large hole but would like to have the option of using a drill press without starting the RPC with the mill or just need to drill a quick hole.
Thanks Clive.
Last edited by Petan on December 21st, 2018, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
georgeh

Re: New drill press

Post by georgeh »

Out of the three you posted you can eliminate the G7944, too small dimensions (14"swing). I couldn't find the G0482 as available on Grissly's site, it would probably work fine. The G7947 will work for you but there may be a small limit on changeable thumb slugs, due to the short (4 1/2") spindle travel. For the money of the G7947, you can buy a slightly used Enco or Jet mill drill on craigslist. Or a wood working hobbyist selling his Jet drill press. I've seen them go for $500 or less looking like brand new.

I have two Enco floor model drill presses (12 speed), one cut down for bench use with mill table/jig and one full size w/Ovalmatic. One purchased new in 1992 for around $150 and a used one 4-5 years ago for $125. The reason I personally like the Enco presses, the 5" spindle travel. If I had the muscle for moving around a 650lb mill drill, I would have purchased one years ago.

edit 12/21; Unless I missed something, none of the presses in that link will work, since they all are 8-10 inch swings. You need a minimum of 16" swing ([16"/2] since measure is done at center of column to center of spindle) with a recommended 4 1/2" spindle travel.
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

The other option is to buy a step pulley and a new belt for your current Drill Press
KurtHuhn

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm just guessing, but I think a Craftsmen or Rigid drill press may be what your looking for. Delta makes bench tops and floor models from a small 8" to larger 20" machines with a number of sizes inbetween. Grizzly makes them too, I have several Grizzly machines but a delta and a craftsmen drill presses.I have never used a grizzly drill press, but have used a number of delta's. I like all the delta's that I used. The better drillpresses have a threaded rod arrangement for depth adjustment and a quill locking lever. Many newer drilpresses do not have a quill lock. This feature is missing on my delta, but I do have it on the old craftsmen.