Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:27 am Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 8, 2015
Posts: 13
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Hello all,

I previously posted over a year ago and I had some changes made with new pitches. I was having thumb issues and still am after a long series of events. Ironically I just had my best season last year and even went out to a few regionals (disaster lol), but now I'm going back downhill again. My question is, have any of you seen people deviate from these fitting charts and coke can tests (I mean by a lot)? My thumb is flexible according to most PSOs and they always want to pitch me forward and under palm. I get a lot of damage on my thumb with a bruised thumb nail (center) and a blood blister where the nail ends going towards the knuckle. I know it would seem strange but could changing my thumb pitch away from palm with reverse be a solution here? I'm left handed with a medium rev rate probably in the 320-350 range but it has been hard for me to get a clean release for the past few months. Recent pitches that I've thrown are 1/4 under palm with 1/16 reverse which took me a while to get used to and eventually I went to 0 lateral and 0 reverse, this is what I'm using currently. I've been reluctant to use tape over the years but I have given in and started using it, problem is I feel like I hang up worse in the ball with tape and when I try to relax my thumb I end up dropping the ball. It's really a mess. I'm cautious about even trying to follow through sometimes because I have a fear of hanging up in the ball. For anyone curious my span is about 4 3/8 and according to the fit tests I've seen my hand calls for 1/4 under palm and 0, 1/8, or 1/16 reverse depending on how flexible I am. I've tested all of these pitches in the past. I'm looking for something outside of the box. My thumb does sweat and I use a hada patch on the back. There is a ball demonstration tomorrow where Mo will be present but I'm not really sure if he would be willing to look at me without me making a purchase. Any advice is appreciated. I tried to cram whatever information that I felt could be relevant here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:48 am Post Number: #2 Post
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4330
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 950
Reputation Power: 10
TheLeftSide wrote:
Hello all,

I previously posted over a year ago and I had some changes made with new pitches. I was having thumb issues and still am after a long series of events. Ironically I just had my best season last year and even went out to a few regionals (disaster lol), but now I'm going back downhill again. My question is, have any of you seen people deviate from these fitting charts and coke can tests (I mean by a lot)? My thumb is flexible according to most PSOs and they always want to pitch me forward and under palm. I get a lot of damage on my thumb with a bruised thumb nail (center) and a blood blister where the nail ends going towards the knuckle. I know it would seem strange but could changing my thumb pitch away from palm with reverse be a solution here? I'm left handed with a medium rev rate probably in the 320-350 range but it has been hard for me to get a clean release for the past few months. Recent pitches that I've thrown are 1/4 under palm with 1/16 reverse which took me a while to get used to and eventually I went to 0 lateral and 0 reverse, this is what I'm using currently. I've been reluctant to use tape over the years but I have given in and started using it, problem is I feel like I hang up worse in the ball with tape and when I try to relax my thumb I end up dropping the ball. It's really a mess. I'm cautious about even trying to follow through sometimes because I have a fear of hanging up in the ball. For anyone curious my span is about 4 3/8 and according to the fit tests I've seen my hand calls for 1/4 under palm and 0, 1/8, or 1/16 reverse depending on how flexible I am. I've tested all of these pitches in the past. I'm looking for something outside of the box. My thumb does sweat and I use a hada patch on the back. There is a ball demonstration tomorrow where Mo will be present but I'm not really sure if he would be willing to look at me without me making a purchase. Any advice is appreciated. I tried to cram whatever information that I felt could be relevant here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.


Oh! You're going to Philly.
Go see Vince Mazzanti, modern fitter, he'll take care of you.
Also, make it a point to Mo that you're having fit problems, he is tops in fitting.

_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:12 am Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1169
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 203
Reputation Power: 3
If Mo will evaluate your grip if you make a purchase... then make a purchase... I wish I had that chance.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:17 am Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: April 15, 2015
Posts: 167
Location: Finland
Reputation: 36
Reputation Power: 1
Just for curiosity. What kind of tapes have you used in the thumbhole?

_________________
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 8, 2015
Posts: 13
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
White and black tapes at different times. I used the one inch tape initially then switched to 3/4 inch white but it always felt like my thumb would hang. Mo told me the first issue was having the tape too high in the thumb hole which was catching on a bump/callus that I have at the base of my thumb. The other issue was not enough bevel on one side of my thumb where I have another callus. All of this was causing me to hang up in the ball and cause damage by clipping my nail at the release point. So far everything feels much better. I've had damage on my thumb even prior to using tape so I'm thinking maybe I could have used some bevel in a couple areas. Taking it slow for now. Felt nice to just follow through without worrying.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:45 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1169
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 203
Reputation Power: 3
I have a sweaty thumb too, what I do and many would say is not ok but works is to tape all four sides of my thumb, I will post photos on how to do this later. Have you tried a tapered oval, the trick is to get it tight enough so you don't have to squeeze, currently I like using 1 or 2 pieces of white tape in the back of the hole with hada tape on all 4 sides of the thumb. The white tape in the back helps the ball stay on my hand in the backswing without grabbing. Start with the pitches Mo recommended and if you see you need too much tape in the hole in order not to drop the ball go 1/8" more forward or 1/8" less reverse in the thumb. The pain at the base of the nail may be a too tight thumb hole.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:31 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: August 8, 2015
Posts: 13
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Taping the whole thumb seems interesting and it would make sense with the way you described it. I've noticed Ryan Ciminelli taping both sides of his thumb but he told me it was only to avoid any damage, not for the release. At this point I'm still at 0,0 for my pitches. I bowl in a league where we switch pairs after two games. I struggled my first two and when we went to the last pair against the wall and near a door (it was cold) I went 269, 257. It's just crazy how critical my thumb is to my game. Kind of annoying too lol.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:19 pm Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: January 30, 2010
Posts: 3378
Location: Hawesville KY/Tell City IN
Reputation: 278
Reputation Power: 3
I may have already mentioned this, but Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet has been very helpful in getting me a clean release. Go to his web site

bowl4fun.com

where you can read about the MC and decide if you want to try one. If you do, call him at the phone number on his web site and he'll probably send you one at no charge to try, that's how he gets us hooked. -- JohnP


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 pm Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: January 29, 2017
Posts: 18
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
I'm having major issues also with my thumb,,,can't relax it,,I'm grabbing,,,, haven't tried tape yet,,,any suggestions?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:19 pm Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1169
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 203
Reputation Power: 3
Justav11 read my reply here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12769


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:29 am Post Number: #11 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: July 13, 2010
Posts: 227
Location: New York, NY
Reputation: 1
Reputation Power: 1
TonyPR wrote:
I have a sweaty thumb too, what I do and many would say is not ok but works is to tape all four sides of my thumb, I will post photos on how to do this later. Have you tried a tapered oval, the trick is to get it tight enough so you don't have to squeeze, currently I like using 1 or 2 pieces of white tape in the back of the hole with hada tape on all 4 sides of the thumb. The white tape in the back helps the ball stay on my hand in the backswing without grabbing. Start with the pitches Mo recommended and if you see you need too much tape in the hole in order not to drop the ball go 1/8" more forward or 1/8" less reverse in the thumb. The pain at the base of the nail may be a too tight thumb hole.


Hi,

Do you have the pictures of how you tape your thumb?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:56 am Post Number: #12 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1169
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 203
Reputation Power: 3
I will post them as soon as I can. I don’t use my thumb anymore but I will tape it and take photos so you can see. I liked to use Vise TT25 beige tape, very good quality product.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm Post Number: #13 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: July 13, 2010
Posts: 227
Location: New York, NY
Reputation: 1
Reputation Power: 1
TonyPR wrote:
I will post them as soon as I can. I don’t use my thumb anymore but I will tape it and take photos so you can see. I liked to use Vise TT25 beige tape, very good quality product.


Thanks! Currently, I have a roll of Hammer tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Tough-Grip-Tape-Roll/dp/B00KPE7RSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519071019&sr=8-1&keywords=hammer+bowling+tape


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:46 pm Post Number: #14 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: July 13, 2010
Posts: 227
Location: New York, NY
Reputation: 1
Reputation Power: 1
TonyPR wrote:
I will post them as soon as I can. I don’t use my thumb anymore but I will tape it and take photos so you can see. I liked to use Vise TT25 beige tape, very good quality product.


Hi Tony,

You ever had a chance to provide those pictures?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:39 am Post Number: #15 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 1169
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 203
Reputation Power: 3
I keep forgetting, thanks for reminding me


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:01 am Post Number: #16 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: April 8, 2018
Posts: 123
Location: Connecticut
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Seems like, messing with the thumb hole, was the most common adjustment I faced, back in the eighties, and is now still the issue. Just had the holes “tweaked” again yesterday!!

_________________
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Thumb problems (once again)
 Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:53 pm Post Number: #17 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: January 30, 2010
Posts: 3378
Location: Hawesville KY/Tell City IN
Reputation: 278
Reputation Power: 3
Be sure you're not "knuckling" your thumb - bending it at the first joint to grip it with the tip. Keep it as straight as possible and apply any pressure with the base, not the tip. -- JohnP


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: