String bowling

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

ckse

String bowling

Post by ckse »

Hello everyone. I work for a large chain of FECs that operates a few bowling centers. We are exploring the option of going string bowling, either AMF or Brunswick, and I would like to get some feedback from some folks that either operate or work at a center that operates string bowling. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: String bowling

Post by JimH »

Welcome to BowlingChat. I was involved with a string bowling center about 10 years ago. The proprietor wanted to put some activity in her small town for the young people to go to. She put in 4 lanes for string bowling a few pool tables and some game machines as well as a snack bar. None of us pretended it was anything other than a fun pastime for the youth of the town. String bowling is low maintenance but the averages cannot be compaired to standard bowling. I have also heard it called candlewick bowling. At the time the lanes installed they were not AMF or Brunswick but some other manufacturer.

Good luck in your quest.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

If any of the houses I bowl in went to String Pins I would not continue bowling there.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
PinChurch
THS Average: 196
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 right 3/4up
Speed: 17,0 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 322
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40

Post by PinChurch »

ckse wrote:Hello everyone. I work for a large chain of FECs that operates a few bowling centers. We are exploring the option of going string bowling, either AMF or Brunswick, and I would like to get some feedback from some folks that either operate or work at a center that operates string bowling. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
You realize these things:

1. You chain of centers would only be useful as party gimmicks and not taken seriously from those who actually bowl.
It can be fun to average American but not for these who want to learn how to bowl.

2. String bowling is extremely illegal according to every bowling agency in the world. You can not have league, any form of competition or even a single bowling club.

Do it right the first time and install a actual bowling lane. I know USA etc. have tons of bowlingcenters, but if you are operating in one lonely town you should install legal lanes and help youngsters to the sport of bowling.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

You can not have league, any form of competition or even a single bowling club.
I agree with your other statements, but they can have leagues, the leagues just can't be sanctioned. -- JohnP
ckse

Post by ckse »

Thanks for the feedback guys. The fact of the matter is that bowling is such a small part of our revenue its getting hard to justify the labor and R+M spend each year. That is why I am looking for feedback from owner/operator of string units. We do not have leagues, nor do we plan on ever having leagues. Based on our marketing data, 99% of our bowlers have NOT even bowled anywhere else in the last 5 years.

Our target audience is not league bowlers, but families that are looking for a fun night out. We are able to offer more than a bowling alley, arcade or bar on its own.

Thanks again.
PinChurch
THS Average: 196
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 right 3/4up
Speed: 17,0 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 322
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40

Post by PinChurch »

Yes, you are a sports bar that runs all kinds of sports. We aren't unfamiliar with that, here we have O'laries that spreads like a flue across the country.
Spoiler:
(My aggression against that company is personal caused by injury when I bowled causally a Friday night. That company have the tendency to shorten the approach by half of the length so I slided on the arrows and flew all the way to the back end)

But with the modern laminate lanes and nearly maintenance-free pinsetters you don't need to have that heavy labor. If you maintain the pinsetters once two month they run with almost no fault 24/7. All you need is to bring back a ball or two, or bring loose a pin that has get stuck. You still have to set up a lane and you still need to oil the lanes (for protection not for the sport of bowling) when you have the string-setters. You still have to bring back stuck balls and you absolutely still have to fix broken string-pins.

I don't blame you or trying to be rude, but I don't see the point in to go with string-setters. The daily maintenance is the same.