strom SonIQ layout

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

poloidrogo
Preferred Company: storm

strom SonIQ layout

Post by poloidrogo »

HI guys

I have a question, I got my new Storm bowling ball SonIQ and not sure how to layout this ball
could you guys please tell me the difference between layout 95° x 3" x 30° and 70° x 5 7/8 x 35°
I'm bowling in house shot ( medium dry )

my info
pap 4 1/2 over for 1/2 up
400 rpm
speed between 14 and 15 mph
not sure about tilt and axis
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: strom SonIQ layout

Post by EricHartwell »

poloidrogo wrote:HI guys

I have a question, I got my new Storm bowling ball SonIQ and not sure how to layout this ball
could you guys please tell me the difference between layout 95° x 3" x 30° and 70° x 5 7/8 x 35°
I'm bowling in house shot ( medium dry )

my info
pap 4 1/2 over for 1/2 up
400 rpm
speed between 14 and 15 mph
not sure about tilt and axis
Short answer the difference is strong (95-3-30) and weak (70-5 7/8-35)
95-3-30 will actually have a drilling angle of ~70* when measure to the thumb hole. It is higher flare, earlier rolling and strong angular reaction to friction compared to the 70-5 7/8-35 which is very low flare with the ball motion pretty much dependent on the coverstock.

The 3" pin would be for a bowler with higher tilt where the 5 7/8" would be for a lower tilt bowler.

I would not recommend using a 5 7/8" pin to PAP, 5" is my recommendation for low flare.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
poloidrogo
Preferred Company: storm

Post by poloidrogo »

Thank Erick for you response, the reason I'm asking is because I have an IQ tour fusion which I love it
The layout in this ball is the one I told you 95°x3x 30° but for me this ball run long and the back and is very smooth. My hand is always under the ball and I do know that I have a lot axis rotation, and always have problem when lanes start getting little dry ( too much hook). It think the 85 or 90 on the 1st angle will work for me, but kind of confuse about the pin distance.
Why if I have 3" inches and 30° on 2nd angle on this ball ( IQ fusion ) is not aggressive at all ??
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

poloidrogo wrote:Thank Erick for you response, the reason I'm asking is because I have an IQ tour fusion which I love it
The layout in this ball is the one I told you 95°x3x 30° but for me this ball run long and the back and is very smooth. My hand is always under the ball and I do know that I have a lot axis rotation, and always have problem when lanes start getting little dry ( too much hook). It think the 85 or 90 on the 1st angle will work for me, but kind of confuse about the pin distance.
Why if I have 3" inches and 30° on 2nd angle on this ball ( IQ fusion ) is not aggressive at all ??
Without knowing your complete and accurate release specs as well as the lane condition and the condition of the coverstock, the Fusion was released 4 years ago, I would only be guessing.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand