Ball on forearm pitches

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Ball on forearm pitches

Post by TonyPR »

Quick question for ball drillers here, how much reverse in the fingers do you recommend/use for no thumb bowlers who like to rest the ball on their forearm with their hand under and cocked? Any tweaks in laterals too? I am not very flexible and today when I was experimenting with this I figured that if I want to do this I need a lot more reverse than I currently use (3/8 reverse both, 3/8 laterals both).
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Ball on forearm pitches

Post by elgavachon »

TonyPR wrote:Quick question for ball drillers here, how much reverse in the fingers do you recommend/use for no thumb bowlers who like to rest the ball on their forearm with their hand under and cocked? Any tweaks in laterals too? I am not very flexible and today when I was experimenting with this I figured that if I want to do this I need a lot more reverse than I currently use (3/8 reverse both, 3/8 laterals both).
I like 1" reverse, never drilled less than 3/4" reverse for anyone and had them like it.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Thank you, I've tried 1" reverse before but my technique was still probably not that good, felt like the ball would fall off my hand but I wasn't as much under the ball as I am now. Now I feel like I could use the 1" reverse and probably even more. What's the most you have drilled?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

TonyPR wrote:Thank you, I've tried 1" reverse before but my technique was still probably not that good, felt like the ball would fall off my hand but I wasn't as much under the ball as I am now. Now I feel like I could use the 1" reverse and probably even more. What's the most you have drilled?
That is the most I can get out of my press unless I turned the ball sideways, but then only 1 1/16" so didn't want to go through that hassel
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Update: my daughter and I (both two handed no thumb) had a full day at Kegel with Del last week. His current recommended general pitches for no thumb two handers are 1.25" reverse both, 3/8" laterals both, conventional drilling. It helps with releasing the ball on to the lane and prevents hitting up on the ball, very comfortable too.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

TonyPR wrote:Update: my daughter and I (both two handed no thumb) had a full day at Kegel with Del last week. His current recommended general pitches for no thumb two handers are 1.25" reverse both, 3/8" laterals both, conventional drilling. It helps with releasing the ball on to the lane and prevents hitting up on the ball, very comfortable too.
I have 3 sons throwing 2 handed no thumb. 2 of them like conventional and 1 does not. Thanks for posting this for us.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

You're welcome sir. Del also told me Jason Belmonte used to be semi-fingertip and recently changed to conventional.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent