Finger pitch question......

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

dballz
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4 right & 3/4 up
Speed: 16-17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 8*
Axis Rotation: 45*

Finger pitch question......

Post by dballz »

Wanting some thoughts in regards to forward, 0, & reverse pitch for fingers.
Current fit specs: RH
Mf: 4 5/16 5/16 left & 0
Rf: 4 3/8, 9/16 right & 0
Th: 1/8 left & 0
Been watching USBC videos & talk seems to be going with 0 or even reverse in fingers.
Based on Wiki suggestions, it says I should have 1/4 forward in both fingers.
So which type of fit does one suggest? And if Wiki, do I need to change thumb pitch in regards to forward/reverse? Thanks!
Right hand
PAP: 5 1/4" right & 3/4" up
Revs: 290-320
Tilt: 7*
Rotation: 35-45*
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Finger pitch question......

Post by TonyPR »

Lots of things to consider when fitting a hand. Your best bet is to go to someone who is knowledgeable, preferably IBPSIA certified and has a good feedback from customers. If you post your location maybe someone here can give you a good recommendation, if you have to take a long drive for a good fit it is totally worth it.

When choosing a fitting method it is a good thing to stick to it following all the instructions and drill a test ball, roll a few games and then adjust the fitting. Yes, thumb linears do have a relation to finger linears and more so to your spans. Flexibility and type of release must also be taken into account.

What I have seen done lately with much success is:
1) measure spans to line drawn between creases making sure thumb web is not too tight (stretched) nor slack
2) find thumb pitch using the flexibility chart using your MF span and then go 1/8" more forward than recommended
3) use zero for fingers if the fingertip crease is extremely flexible, 1/4-3/8 reverse for average flex and more if less flexible, use oval inserts or no inserts, not lifts
3) thumb lateral is based on how your hand closes, rarely almost never do they use right lateral(for right handers/towards the palm)
4) finger laterals are based on if you have crooked fingers or not, many use 3/8, 3/8 or 7/16, 7/16 but this is generic and should be used with caution, it's better to just drill your linears along a CLT line using 7/16 laterals both (on CLT line) unless you got crooked fingers. Align inserts to CLT line
5) thumb should be ovaled and tapered to your thumb shape (not everyone has the ovaling bits so look for a shop that does).
6) drill thumb so that you can fit about 5 pieces of tape to adjust fit

After reading the above you can see why this is better in person.

The Wiki method is also a very good method as is Joe Slowinski's ADT just don't mix and match, stick to one method.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
dballz
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4 right & 3/4 up
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 8*
Axis Rotation: 45*

Post by dballz »

TonyPR wrote:Lots of things to consider when fitting a hand. Your best bet is to go to someone who is knowledgeable, preferably IBPSIA certified and has a good feedback from customers. If you post your location maybe someone here can give you a good recommendation, if you have to take a long drive for a good fit it is totally worth it.

When choosing a fitting method it is a good thing to stick to it following all the instructions and drill a test ball, roll a few games and then adjust the fitting. Yes, thumb linears do have a relation to finger linears and more so to your spans. Flexibility and type of release must also be taken into account.

What I have seen done lately with much success is:
1) measure spans to line drawn between creases making sure thumb web is not too tight (stretched) nor slack
2) find thumb pitch using the flexibility chart using your MF span and then go 1/8" more forward than recommended so off the chart, it says I should go with 1/8 reverse, but per your thinking, you would add 1/8 forward & make it 0.
3) use zero for fingers if the fingertip crease is extremely flexible, 1/4-3/8 reverse for average flex and more if less flexible, use oval inserts or no inserts, not lifts I currently do not use grips, so finger pitch may be okay.
3) thumb lateral is based on how your hand closes, rarely almost never do they use right lateral(for right handers/towards the palm)
4) finger laterals are based on if you have crooked fingers or not, many use 3/8, 3/8 or 7/16, 7/16 but this is generic and should be used with caution, it's better to just drill your linears along a CLT line using 7/16 laterals both (on CLT line) unless you got crooked fingers. Align inserts to CLT line. straight fingers, so will align holes per CLT.
5) thumb should be ovaled and tapered to your thumb shape (not everyone has the ovaling bits so look for a shop that doCOT. I use Vise Grip Pro V2 oval inserts.
6) drill thumb so that you can fit about 5 pieces of tape to adjust fitthumb can change based on temp, so do use tape in front & back.

After reading the above you can see why this is better in person.

The Wiki method is also a very good method as is Joe Slowinski's ADT just don't mix and match, stick to one method.

Good luck and keep us posted.
sounds like I am on the right path. Thoughts on current layouts & a couple layouts for unfilled stuff?
Best ball use to be DV8 Nightmare: 70* × 4 1/2" × 30* (before it cracked)
Current specs: AT: 7*, AR: 40*, RPM: 300-340, PAP: 5 1/4" & 3/4 up, speed: 16-17
Current layouts: Paradox Black: 55* × 4 3/4" × 30*
Lit: 60* × 4 1/2" × 40*
Maverick Pearl: 55* × 5" × 35*
Mako: undrilled. Maybe 60 × 4 1/2" × 30
Warrior Supreme: undrilled. Maybe 70* × 4 1/2" × 35* Thoughts? Appreciate it.
Right hand
PAP: 5 1/4" right & 3/4" up
Revs: 290-320
Tilt: 7*
Rotation: 35-45*
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Not my thinking, just a method I have seen used currently. If your spans were measured correctly to a line drawn at the midpoint between the fingertip crease and the next crease, without stretching the hand and the chart says 1/8 reverse for thumb flex then yes 0" linear would be a starting point. 0" finger linears is for very flexible fingertips. Are you sure you can easily bend that joint 90* without much effort? If fingers are straight then drill 7/16 both laterals along CLT line.

Do not worry about layouts yet, like I said use a test ball for the grip change and finish with grip adjustments, you may have to tweak pitches and or spans a bit that is why I recommend using a ball you don't care much about plugging and redrilling a few times. Your release specs will most likely change a bit with a new fit so after we have the grip dialed then we can worry about that on a new thread.

Note, this type of fit with more forward in thumb, and less forward in fingers works well with a rolling, through the ball "modern" release. It won't work as well for those who lift and hit up on the ball.

Keep us posted.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

technically, Slowinski's ADT fit is a modification of a correct IBPSIA fit.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º