Turbo Switch Grip Installation video Rev 2017

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Turbo Switch Grip Installation video Rev 2017

Post by bowl1820 »

Turbo 2-N-1 Grips
Published on Mar 9, 2017

[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Lledsmarttam
THS Average: 198
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed: 14-15 mph on monitor
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Optimus solid
Medium Oil Ball: Antidote, Zero Gravity
Light Oil Ball: Rave On,Pathogen

Re: Turbo Switch Grip Installation video Rev 2017

Post by Lledsmarttam »

Unfortunately I followed these directions to a t and still had 2 failures of outer coming out!! I have since been informed that a good rasping of the outer before glueing was necessary. Since then have not had an issue with that.

But instead with the tabs on outer wearing out. The grip was only removed and installed about 30 times and does not snap into place any more. Any body have this issue too?
-Knowledge is power-
PAP-5 1/16 by 3/4 up
Speed-14-15mph on monitor
Rev-325rpm
Tilt-10*
Rotation-70*-90*
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Re: Turbo Switch Grip Installation video Rev 2017

Post by Viper »

Lledsmarttam wrote:Unfortunately I followed these directions to a t and still had 2 failures of outer coming out!! I have since been informed that a good rasping of the outer before gluing was necessary. Since then have not had an issue with that.

But instead with the tabs on outer wearing out. The grip was only removed and installed about 30 times and does not snap into place any more. Any body have this issue too?
I'm a bowler who has used the Turbo SG system for probably six years now. I've had some issues with the system but continue to use it because I can use a custom molded slug in the innersleeve (IS). To the question above, about the loss of "snap," I've experienced this but only randomly. The lack of the tight fit allows some slop between the IS and the outer-sleeve (OS) which I can feel. My solution is to use a rubber band bought from a dollar store, 100 to a bag, that are used for women's/girl's pigtails (I guess). I loop the rubber band around the lugs on the IS. The bands are small enough to allow the IS to engage the OS and firm-up the fit. They will only work once but at a penny apiece it doesn't matter.

One thing I noticed absent from the video is the slight beveling of the hole made for the OS. I have experienced (and continue to do so) circular cracking around the thumb hole. There is a thread dedicated to this problem. I have had numerous discussions with installers, to include Turbo reps, and all say to slightly bevel the thumb hole before installing the OS. Despite this, I continue to experience circular cracking of the coverstock around the thumb hole. To date, fortunately, the cracking has not be catastrophic, that is, my entire system coming out of the ball.

But I have experienced both the OS coming out of the ball as well as the slug separating from the IS due to glue failure. Because I use an out-of-state pro-shop I will do the remounting using a two-part epoxy adhesive in lieu of the superglue stuff. Works great.

Another thing, the hole rasp (or whatever Turbo calls it) that you don't see in the video, that's used following the drilling of the hole, is (I think) critical to a good fit of the OS the hole.

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera