Vacu Grips

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

strikelineproshop
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" left 1" up
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Nexus f(P+F)
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Versa-Max
Light Oil Ball: Track 300C
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Vacu Grips

Post by strikelineproshop »

I just want some opinions?

I have used vacu grips in my own equipment for around 3 years and I used them as a junior 10 years before that due to my fingers swelling. With the pro shop it is now due to me bowling 4 times one week and then maybe twice in the next 3 weeks.

I have a lot of customers who also use vacu grips due to various issues, mainly swelling.

However I was recently told by a very well respected rep from a ball manufacturer that vacu grips are not a good idea and that you know they are not because none of the pros use them.

Thoughts please?
Andrew, Pro Shop Operator & Former Junior International Bowler
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Vacu Grips

Post by JohnP »

If they're comfortable and you like the feel, keep on using them. The pro's have ball reps just sitting around waiting to change grips for them, I doubt that you do. -- JohnP
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

JohnP wrote:If they're comfortable and you like the feel, keep on using them
Total agreement. "Touring Pros" life world is very different from yours and thus, the guidelines for the local aspiring player may be very different then the guidelines for the "touring pros".
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
clatara
THS Average: 200

Post by clatara »

Yes many top bowlers do not like the Vacu grips feeling.... but their finger are swelling too.
how do you make the hole for fitting Vacu Grips?
I suppose you firstly use a 31/32 bit and after enlarge the top of the hole ( 1 inch depth) with a bigger bit ( e.g. 1 inch) ?
Do you want the benefit of the Vacu system but also the firm feeling of a grip not moving around in the hole?
Try the following method.
Drill finger holes with a 31/32 bit, then by cranking the table sideward ( left and right) enlarge just the side of the 31/32 hole.
I would say..... something between 1/64" and 1/32" both sides and 1 inch depth.
The result is
1) you have side room for fingers to swell.
2) the feeling is a better/firm ball hold because the inserts are glued at two sides.... southbound ( toward thumb hole) and northbound.
Hope my english is clear enough.
strikelineproshop
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" left 1" up
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Nexus f(P+F)
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Versa-Max
Light Oil Ball: Track 300C
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by strikelineproshop »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

@clatara that is a very interesting solution, I will try it on one of my own balls and let you know how I get on.
Andrew, Pro Shop Operator & Former Junior International Bowler
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by flibblesh »

strikelineproshop wrote:I just want some opinions?

I have used vacu grips in my own equipment for around 3 years and I used them as a junior 10 years before that due to my fingers swelling. With the pro shop it is now due to me bowling 4 times one week and then maybe twice in the next 3 weeks.

I have a lot of customers who also use vacu grips due to various issues, mainly swelling.

However I was recently told by a very well respected rep from a ball manufacturer that vacu grips are not a good idea and that you know they are not because none of the pros use them.

Thoughts please?
I'm not sure if it's 100% a vacu grip, but here's the ball Wes Malott used to stomp everyone during the King of Bowling series. It's either a vacu grip or some kind of hybrid.

https://i.redd.it/y9a75imzj59y.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

strikelineproshop wrote:Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

@clatara that is a very interesting solution, I will try it on one of my own balls and let you know how I get on.
The Fake Vacu Grip:
fakevacugrips.jpg
or

Here is how Mo does them:
To allow for swelling, drill a hole 1/32" larger than the hole for the insert 1" deep (3/4" deep for short finger tips) at the cut span distance, then change the bit to the correct size for the insert and flush the bit against the front wall of the hole and drill it the desired depth. This will allow for the knuckle to swell and still keep the tip of the finger at the correct place at the bottom of the hole. I call these fake Vacu grips.

Or

One other way was to just take the insert and sand half of it so the outside diameter was smaller at the top and glue it in at the bottom. (if your careful Stick the insert on a dowel or drill bit and you can put it in the drill and use it like a lathe to sand it down.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
clatara
THS Average: 200

Post by clatara »

bowl1820 wrote:
To allow for swelling, drill a hole 1/32" larger than the hole for the insert 1" deep (3/4" deep for short finger tips) at the cut span distance, then change the bit to the correct size for the insert and flush the bit against the front wall of the hole and drill it the desired depth. This will allow for the knuckle to swell and still keep the tip of the finger at the correct place at the bottom of the hole. I call these fake Vacu grips.[/color

This is the way I've always been doing the Vacu grips... since year 2000.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

I'm pretty sure Belmo uses something like the fake vacu...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Having the opportunity to see a lot of touring players bowling equipment, vac's are not universally used. Truth is, I have not seen one pba ball that has used any variation of a vac system. There are more than a few players who do not utilize finger inserts, but do use slugs. It's all a matter of personal preference.

There is a segment of the bowling community that could definitely benefit from vac type drilling techniques though. As arthritis begins to take it's toll on the joints, vac's provide a comfortable solution both in terms of softening the feel of the finger holes and room for the inevitable expansion and contraction of the joints.

I have yet to employ the use of a drill bit larger than 1 1/32 at the top of the fingers holes (31/32 at the bottom), but some of my customers are getting up in their years. For those particular types of individuals, now seems like a good time to experiment with larger hole sizes at the top of the vac's. Hopefully, it will lesson the discomfort they feel when releasing the ball. These bowlers are physically capable of getting to the line, but say there isn't enough Tylenol in the world to contain the pain they experience when the ball leaves their hand.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

bowl1820 wrote:
The Fake Vacu Grip:
fakevacugrips.jpg
or

To allow for swelling, drill a hole 1/32" larger than the hole for the insert 1" deep (3/4" deep for short finger tips) at the cut span distance, then change the bit to the correct size for the insert and flush the bit against the front wall of the hole and drill it the desired depth. This will allow for the knuckle to swell and still keep the tip of the finger at the correct place at the bottom of the hole. I call these fake Vacu grips.

Or

One other way was to just take the insert and sand half of it so the outside diameter was smaller at the top and glue it in at the bottom. (if your careful Stick the insert on a dowel or drill bit and you can put it in the drill and use it like a lathe to sand it down.)

Hi bowl1820,

From the illustration, the 2nd drill bit is pointed at the middle of the 1st hole which is 1/32" bigger , isn't it?
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

ads wrote:

Hi bowl1820,

From the illustration, the 2nd drill bit is pointed at the middle of the 1st hole which is 1/32" bigger , isn't it?
Yes the vers. Shown in the illustration doesnt have the top hole offset Like in mo's vers.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

However you drill it you want the gripping surface of the top of the insert to be at the proper span for your fit. -- JohnP