Installing Finger Inserts

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

GrizzlyAdam
Speed: 18mph
Light Oil Ball: The alley I frequent is very dry.
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Installing Finger Inserts

Post by GrizzlyAdam »

I am a "handyman" and there is no real pro shop in reasonable driving distance, so I have come to terms with the fact that I will be doing most of my own ball work. What do I need to know to make sure I get the right size inserts to match both the ball and the bowlers hand? Also, do balls typically get drilled out to a standard size for the insert or are they available in a whole range of sizes?
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Installing Finger Inserts

Post by JimH »

Inserts have a 'standard' size for 31/32 inch bit. Some fit in a 7/8 inch hole (28/32). The insert will fit the ball if the hole is drilled to the correct size. To determine the size for the bowler's finger just try it, like trying on a shoe. If it does not fit you will know it. You can make some minor adjustments to fit a finger that is between sizes. To make an insert smaller wrap some plastic electric insulation tape around the insert before putting it in the hole.

I would suggest you attend a course to learn the skills involved in drilling. Particularly if you will be drilling for others. If you go into the business, make it your business to know what you are doing.