Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:04 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Pro Shop

Joined: May 8, 2012
Posts: 37
Location: Washington, UK
Reputation: 1
Reputation Power: 1
I just want some opinions?

I have used vacu grips in my own equipment for around 3 years and I used them as a junior 10 years before that due to my fingers swelling. With the pro shop it is now due to me bowling 4 times one week and then maybe twice in the next 3 weeks.

I have a lot of customers who also use vacu grips due to various issues, mainly swelling.

However I was recently told by a very well respected rep from a ball manufacturer that vacu grips are not a good idea and that you know they are not because none of the pros use them.

Thoughts please?

_________________
Andrew, Pro Shop Operator & Former Junior International Bowler


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: January 30, 2010
Posts: 3201
Location: Hawesville KY/Tell City IN
Reputation: 247
Reputation Power: 3
If they're comfortable and you like the feel, keep on using them. The pro's have ball reps just sitting around waiting to change grips for them, I doubt that you do. -- JohnP


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:27 am Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Guru

Joined: March 31, 2010
Posts: 976
Location: Camp Springs MD
Reputation: 299
Reputation Power: 3
JohnP wrote:
If they're comfortable and you like the feel, keep on using them


Total agreement. "Touring Pros" life world is very different from yours and thus, the guidelines for the local aspiring player may be very different then the guidelines for the "touring pros".

_________________
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: September 18, 2010
Posts: 165
Location: Nerviano -Italy
Reputation: 14
Reputation Power: 1
Yes many top bowlers do not like the Vacu grips feeling.... but their finger are swelling too.
how do you make the hole for fitting Vacu Grips?
I suppose you firstly use a 31/32 bit and after enlarge the top of the hole ( 1 inch depth) with a bigger bit ( e.g. 1 inch) ?
Do you want the benefit of the Vacu system but also the firm feeling of a grip not moving around in the hole?
Try the following method.
Drill finger holes with a 31/32 bit, then by cranking the table sideward ( left and right) enlarge just the side of the 31/32 hole.
I would say..... something between 1/64" and 1/32" both sides and 1 inch depth.
The result is
1) you have side room for fingers to swell.
2) the feeling is a better/firm ball hold because the inserts are glued at two sides.... southbound ( toward thumb hole) and northbound.
Hope my english is clear enough.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 am Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Pro Shop

Joined: May 8, 2012
Posts: 37
Location: Washington, UK
Reputation: 1
Reputation Power: 1
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

@clatara that is a very interesting solution, I will try it on one of my own balls and let you know how I get on.

_________________
Andrew, Pro Shop Operator & Former Junior International Bowler


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:47 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: November 4, 2014
Posts: 44
Reputation: 10
Reputation Power: 1
strikelineproshop wrote:
I just want some opinions?

I have used vacu grips in my own equipment for around 3 years and I used them as a junior 10 years before that due to my fingers swelling. With the pro shop it is now due to me bowling 4 times one week and then maybe twice in the next 3 weeks.

I have a lot of customers who also use vacu grips due to various issues, mainly swelling.

However I was recently told by a very well respected rep from a ball manufacturer that vacu grips are not a good idea and that you know they are not because none of the pros use them.

Thoughts please?


I'm not sure if it's 100% a vacu grip, but here's the ball Wes Malott used to stomp everyone during the King of Bowling series. It's either a vacu grip or some kind of hybrid.


https://i.redd.it/y9a75imzj59y.jpg

_________________
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:55 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 9, 2012
Posts: 1051
Location: Central Florida
Reputation: 355
Reputation Power: 4
strikelineproshop wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

@clatara that is a very interesting solution, I will try it on one of my own balls and let you know how I get on.


The Fake Vacu Grip:
Attachment:
fakevacugrips.jpg


or

Here is how Mo does them:
To allow for swelling, drill a hole 1/32" larger than the hole for the insert 1" deep (3/4" deep for short finger tips) at the cut span distance, then change the bit to the correct size for the insert and flush the bit against the front wall of the hole and drill it the desired depth. This will allow for the knuckle to swell and still keep the tip of the finger at the correct place at the bottom of the hole. I call these fake Vacu grips.

Or

One other way was to just take the insert and sand half of it so the outside diameter was smaller at the top and glue it in at the bottom. (if your careful Stick the insert on a dowel or drill bit and you can put it in the drill and use it like a lathe to sand it down.)


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Click my green + rep button if this helps!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:22 pm Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: September 18, 2010
Posts: 165
Location: Nerviano -Italy
Reputation: 14
Reputation Power: 1
bowl1820 wrote:

Here is how Mo does them:
[color=#FFFF00]To allow for swelling, drill a hole 1/32" larger than the hole for the insert 1" deep (3/4" deep for short finger tips) at the cut span distance, then change the bit to the correct size for the insert and flush the bit against the front wall of the hole and drill it the desired depth. This will allow for the knuckle to swell and still keep the tip of the finger at the correct place at the bottom of the hole. I call these fake Vacu grips.[/color

This is the way I've always been doing the Vacu grips... since year 2000.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:24 am Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Certified Coach

Joined: December 13, 2014
Posts: 845
Location: San Juan, PR
Reputation: 136
Reputation Power: 2
I'm pretty sure Belmo uses something like the fake vacu...

_________________
I'm out to prove dedication, discipline and really wanting it can go further than raw talent alone...
RPMs - 375-420
Speed - 15 monitor
Axis Tilt - 3* (yikes!!!)
Axis Rotation - depends on what I want the ball to do


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 pm Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Pro Shop

Joined: July 19, 2010
Posts: 150
Reputation: 38
Reputation Power: 1
Having the opportunity to see a lot of touring players bowling equipment, vac's are not universally used. Truth is, I have not seen one pba ball that has used any variation of a vac system. There are more than a few players who do not utilize finger inserts, but do use slugs. It's all a matter of personal preference.

There is a segment of the bowling community that could definitely benefit from vac type drilling techniques though. As arthritis begins to take it's toll on the joints, vac's provide a comfortable solution both in terms of softening the feel of the finger holes and room for the inevitable expansion and contraction of the joints.

I have yet to employ the use of a drill bit larger than 1 1/32 at the top of the fingers holes (31/32 at the bottom), but some of my customers are getting up in their years. For those particular types of individuals, now seems like a good time to experiment with larger hole sizes at the top of the vac's. Hopefully, it will lesson the discomfort they feel when releasing the ball. These bowlers are physically capable of getting to the line, but say there isn't enough Tylenol in the world to contain the pain they experience when the ball leaves their hand.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 am Post Number: #11 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 21, 2014
Posts: 582
Location: Hong Kong
Reputation: 16
Reputation Power: 1
bowl1820 wrote:

The Fake Vacu Grip:
Attachment:
fakevacugrips.jpg


or

Here is how Mo does them:
To allow for swelling, drill a hole 1/32" larger than the hole for the insert 1" deep (3/4" deep for short finger tips) at the cut span distance, then change the bit to the correct size for the insert and flush the bit against the front wall of the hole and drill it the desired depth. This will allow for the knuckle to swell and still keep the tip of the finger at the correct place at the bottom of the hole. I call these fake Vacu grips.

Or

One other way was to just take the insert and sand half of it so the outside diameter was smaller at the top and glue it in at the bottom. (if your careful Stick the insert on a dowel or drill bit and you can put it in the drill and use it like a lathe to sand it down.)



Hi bowl1820,

From the illustration, the 2nd drill bit is pointed at the middle of the 1st hole which is 1/32" bigger , isn't it?

_________________
Adrian

Right handed
PAP: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev: 300 RPM
Axis tilt: 15*
Axis rotation: 60*


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 pm Post Number: #12 Post
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 9, 2012
Posts: 1051
Location: Central Florida
Reputation: 355
Reputation Power: 4
ads wrote:


Hi bowl1820,

From the illustration, the 2nd drill bit is pointed at the middle of the 1st hole which is 1/32" bigger , isn't it?


Yes the vers. Shown in the illustration doesnt have the top hole offset Like in mo's vers.

_________________
Click my green + rep button if this helps!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Vacu Grips
 Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:00 pm Post Number: #13 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: January 30, 2010
Posts: 3201
Location: Hawesville KY/Tell City IN
Reputation: 247
Reputation Power: 3
However you drill it you want the gripping surface of the top of the insert to be at the proper span for your fit. -- JohnP


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: