Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:05 am Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 22, 2016
Posts: 20
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
I got some Vise rapid cure to plug my bowling balls, but the hardener is to dark and have hard time to match colors, I called them and they come up with a color match list which I should use half of the pigment bottle to mach the color which is not worth it . Any ideas which one to buy that both are clear hardener and resin ?? so is easier for me to match colors ?? it doesn't matter if I have to wait 24 hours to get it dry.

Thanks in advance


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:39 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 9, 2012
Posts: 1051
Location: Central Florida
Reputation: 355
Reputation Power: 4
Half a bottle of color?? That cant be right.

As for the hardener did you consider getting new fresh bottle.

Does your hardener look like the one shwn here.


_________________
Click my green + rep button if this helps!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:36 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Pro Shop
User avatar

Joined: January 19, 2010
Posts: 222
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation: 42
Reputation Power: 1
poloidrogo wrote:
I got some Vise rapid cure to plug my bowling balls, but the hardener is to dark and have hard time to match colors, I called them and they come up with a color match list which I should use half of the pigment bottle to mach the color which is not worth it . Any ideas which one to buy that both are clear hardener and resin ?? so is easier for me to match colors ?? it doesn't matter if I have to wait 24 hours to get it dry.

Thanks in advance


As much as I love John and his products, I am not a fan of quick plug of any types.

I do a lot plugging, and I would suggest either Motiv's HD or HR (which is not as good as it used to be, HD for colder weather, HR for warmer weather) or Ebonites EverClear.

Just make sure you use white as your base coats before you add most colors (I do not use it for Red or Yellow).


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:28 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: August 11, 2014
Posts: 424
Reputation: 62
Reputation Power: 1
MeNoRevs wrote:
Just make sure you use white as your base coats before you add most colors (I do not use it for Red or Yellow).


Great advice. I'm using Innovative/Pro's Choice 6 hour and a little bit of white goes a long way. Avoid overmixing as it seems to create shrinkage problems (air bubbles?). It seems quite sensitive to shop temperature, so I like the idea of trying the Motiv products and using one for winter and one for summer.

Steve

_________________
18-19 mph (15.5-16.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:25 am Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
BCU Graduate Layouts
User avatar

Joined: August 31, 2014
Posts: 570
Location: Tucson, AZ
Reputation: 107
Reputation Power: 2
I have used Rapid Cure and found it to be prone to bubbles and is very difficult to color match.
Currently using CS Hybrid (quick, easy to color match and finish, but prone to visible seams) and Motiv HD, which is outstanding if you have the time.

_________________
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.625" x 0
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 7º


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 am Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 22, 2016
Posts: 20
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
MeNoRevs wrote:

As much as I love John and his products, I am not a fan of quick plug of any types.

I do a lot plugging, and I would suggest either Motiv's HD or HR (which is not as good as it used to be, HD for colder weather, HR for warmer weather) or Ebonites EverClear.

Just make sure you use white as your base coats before you add most colors (I do not use it for Red or Yellow).


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:12 am Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 22, 2016
Posts: 20
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
stevespo wrote:

Great advice. I'm using Innovative/Pro's Choice 6 hour and a little bit of white goes a long way. Avoid overmixing as it seems to create shrinkage problems (air bubbles?). It seems quite sensitive to shop temperature, so I like the idea of trying the Motiv products and using one for winter and one for summer.

Steve


Thanks for the advice I will try Motive product now


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 am Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 22, 2016
Posts: 20
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
bowl1820 wrote:
Half a bottle of color?? That cant be right.

As for the hardener did you consider getting new fresh bottle.

Does your hardener look like the one shwn here.




That's the reason I bought this product because I saw this video, but the hardener I got is brown color and is really hard to mach specially because it get hard on 1 minute.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:17 am Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 22, 2016
Posts: 20
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
snick wrote:
I have used Rapid Cure and found it to be prone to bubbles and is very difficult to color match.
Currently using CS Hybrid (quick, easy to color match and finish, but prone to visible seams) and Motiv HD, which is outstanding if you have the time.



Thanks much for your response.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Plug epoxy resin
 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:20 am Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: March 22, 2016
Posts: 20
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
MeNoRevs wrote:

As much as I love John and his products, I am not a fan of quick plug of any types.

I do a lot plugging, and I would suggest either Motiv's HD or HR (which is not as good as it used to be, HD for colder weather, HR for warmer weather) or Ebonites EverClear.

Just make sure you use white as your base coats before you add most colors (I do not use it for Red or Yellow).


Thanks much for you help I will try the white as a base


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » General Forums » The Pro Shop


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: