New Drilling For Low Axis Tilt Girl

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

lpc300

New Drilling For Low Axis Tilt Girl

Post by lpc300 »

Drilling a ball for a friend's daughter and I'd like some suggestions. The ball is an old Track MX10. The girl is 16 and averages in the low 200's. Here is her information:

Speed (off hand): 13.5
Axis Rotation: 65
Axis Tilt: 7
Revs: 350

As you can see, with her very low axis tilt and low speed, she is pretty rev dominant. All of her equipment reacts very strongly; she performs poorly on drier lanes as her equipment over reacts and she has to play extremely deep. She wants the ball to go long and wants the ball to arc, not snap; a longer transition.

I calculate her angle sum at 125, adjusting for her being rev dominant, her very low axis tilt, and her slightly high axis rotation. I believe that would make her ratio 2:1.

Giving her a control layout, I calculate 80x55.
If I go with long and strong, I calculate 95X40.

I don't want the ball to flare much at all, and since the MX10 is asymmetrical, I'm thinking about making the pin-PAP distance less than 2 inches.

How do these numbers sound? Will I need a weight hole? Any suggestions or corrections are welcome.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: New Drilling For Low Axis Tilt Girl

Post by EricHartwell »

Normally I go with the long and strong ratio and totals and would be 90-2-45 P2 balance hole if needed.

Using the Control I would want a balance hole option to make it roll sooner if needed.
80-2-55 will give that option of a P3 balance hole if you need to make it stronger. P1.5 is also available if you just need to fix the static weight.

What pound ball are you working with?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
lpc300

Post by lpc300 »

EricHartwell wrote:Normally I go with the long and strong ratio and totals and would be 90-2-45 P2 balance hole if needed.

Using the Control I would want a balance hole option to make it roll sooner if needed.
80-2-55 will give that option of a P3 balance hole if you need to make it stronger. P1.5 is also available if you just need to fix the static weight.

What pound ball are you working with?
15 lbs.

Do you think a long & strong would be better than the control? EVERYTHING she currently throws reacts massively strong. Currently she throws a Storm Lock and an IQ. Even with surface adjustments, she gets too much ball.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I think the Control is the way to go. It will give you options for balance holes.

What layouts on the Storm Lock and IQ?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand