Very Short Pin Distances

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Very Short Pin Distances

Post by Glenn »

I bowled with an older guy recently who was sporting a new Roto Grip Wreak Em. What caught my eye was the super small Pin to CG distance -- less than 1/2 inch. I'd never seen a ball with the two marking nearly on top of one another. Of course, the layout had these to markings in the center of the palm (pin under fingers). I know shorter pin distances with this layout will roll earlier and longer, but I have never seen one ordered like this before now.
I'm not sure that this setup is working for him. I don't know his specs other than he is on the low end of average bowler, ball speed probably about 10 mph, ball weight 10-12 pounds, right handed, stands on the left side of the lane, and throws a reverse hook. His best look is when he hits the head pin and the ball rolls into the 3, 6, 10 - he strikes. Sorta like the Asian spinners use to roll.
So, my question is: When do you order a ball for a customer with these super short pin to CG distances? I assume that you have very few drilling options with such a distance, yes?
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Very Short Pin Distances

Post by TonyPR »

At lower weights most balls will have a pancake weight block, such small pin to cg is what we call pin in balls. Just put the cg around the center of the grip, the pin will end up under the fingers. With these balls the coverstock will dominate so surface adjustments are key.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

The other layout option with this type of bowling ball is to use the PBA Plastic Ball Layout that can be found in the wiki.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thanks for the replies, Tony and Dustin, and for the additional information. I'm pretty sure he won't be making any surface changes, and he's bowling with it OOB (1500 polished). Eventually, the surface will settle in at the belt shine, and that's how he'll play it.
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."