weighting two-handed balls

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

clatara
THS Average: 200

weighting two-handed balls

Post by clatara »

Hi all,
these are two balls of the best italian two-handed bowler.
he drill all his balls this way ( T-grip) but of course does not use the thumb hole.
He uses the thumb hole only to pick up the ball from ball return.
Here some ball drillers say these balls must be weighted using the center grip, some others say balls have to be weighted centering on mid fingers holes as the big hole must be considered as a balance hole.
Can you give me a clue on this debate?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Re: weighting two-handed balls

Post by spmcgivern »

I would think you need to look at the ball as two finger holes and a balance hole. In this case, the balance is measured from between the fingers. This is how two-handed bowler's equipment is evaluated in the U.S.

If the thumbhole is used, then the balance is measured from the center of the grip.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

A link to the USBC Equipment Specifications manual is below. On Page 9 there are diagrams showing how to determine grip center for a bowler who doesn't use his thumb. I have no idea whether or not the Italian rules are the same. -- JohnP

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

I suggest the bowling ball should be drilled in such a way as to pass a weight test using either method. Your friend will face a problem some day in a tournament when the bowling ball is weighed by some tournament official who will decide the third hole is a gripping hole and therefore the center of the grip is the reference point for static weights, or the official will decide the extra hole is not a gripping hole and the center of the finger holes is the reference point. You cannot predict what the official will decide and your friend certainly should not debate the issue with the tournament official as the official will certainly not like to be challenged on any decision. The drilling challenge for the ball driller is to drill the ball in such a way as it will pass the static weight using either reference point.
Last edited by JimH on April 6th, 2017, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

JimH wrote:I suggest the bowling Ball should be drilled in such a way as to pass a weight test using either method.
+1
This would be the best option for the user to cover themselves, should they ever happen to bowl with their thumb in the hole and is shown in the Equip. & Spec. manual.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

The drilling challenge for the ball driller is to drill the ball in such a way as it will pass the static weight using either reference point.
Yes, and this is quite a challenge. I have drilled a few balls for customers that want to use them both ways, and it can be done. You have to set the layout just to make the static weights legal both ways and accept whatever pin to PAP and angles you end up with. And I've run into a few combinations of PAP location, pin out and top weight that I found impossible to make legal both ways. I offered those customers the option of going to another driller to see if he could figure out a legal layout or to just drill the finger holes. The customers chose just drilling the finger holes. -- JohnP
gunso

Post by gunso »

I'd say those are probably legal
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

JohnP wrote:Yes, and this is quite a challenge. I have drilled a few balls for customers that want to use them both ways, and it can be done. You have to set the layout just to make the static weights legal both ways and accept whatever pin to PAP and angles you end up with. And I've run into a few combinations of PAP location, pin out and top weight that I found impossible to make legal both ways. I offered those customers the option of going to another driller to see if he could figure out a legal layout or to just drill the finger holes. The customers chose just drilling the finger holes. -- JohnP
There are certainly going to be restrictions on which bowling balls can be used. As you rightly suggested pin location and top weight will restrict the possible layouts. Clatara did not say anything about the bowler accepting a ball that does not have a hole located where the thumb hole would be drilled. I think every driller has at least one customer who wants a ball drilled a particular way and which the driller believes is not necessarily the best way to drill the ball.