Most hooking / Most continuation ball for low speed, lower r

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Most hooking / Most continuation ball for low speed, lower r

Post by J_w73 »

There are many elderly bowlers that can not generate ball speed and don't have the strength to get a good and powerful turn on the ball. I have seen many of these bowlers go to the pro shop and ask for a ball that is going to hook more and they are given the newest strong cover hook monster... What happens is, with their slow ball speed and weak rotation, the ball hits dry and immediately rolls forward and doesn't hook any more (and sometimes less) than their current ball.

What ball would be best for bowlers like this for max hook and board covering potential? Is there a certain layout that would be best for this?

Might static weights actually have an influence here because of the slow ball speed and minimal rotation. Perhaps maximize the positive side weight, finger weight, and top weight? I know, I know. Those don't do anything... but with a flaring ball that is rolling slow it will end up putting the maximum amount of imbalance on the left side of the ball as it is rolling down the lane and should help the ball move left.

What do you think? Anybody specialize in drilling for elderly bowlers?
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Most hooking / Most continuation ball for low speed, low

Post by EricHartwell »

I would go with an Asymmetrical with a low flare layout shined up to a true 4000 grit.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

EricHartwell wrote:I would go with an Asymmetrical with a low flare layout shined up to a true 4000 grit.
Thanks for the advice. Can you elaborate on your choice? I know asymmetricals will have a tendency to read friction quicker and roll forward quickly, for some people. Will the low flare layout prevent this?
Why asymmetrical over symmetrical. I am not criticizing your choice, I am just trying to gain knowledge and understand how you came up with your choice.

Thank you.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

J_w73 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Can you elaborate on your choice? I know asymmetricals will have a tendency to read friction quicker and roll forward quickly, for some people. Will the low flare layout prevent this?
Why asymmetrical over symmetrical. I am not criticizing your choice, I am just trying to gain knowledge and understand how you came up with your choice.

Thank you.
I would choose an Asymmetrical over Symmetrical to take advantage of the gyroscopic effects.
With Asymms using the shorter pin to PAP to reduce flare will make the skid phase and the hook phase longer because it will retain tilt and rotation longer than a layout with a longer pin to PAP. Using this in conjunction with higher totals and you are doing everything you can with a core to delay the roll.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

I would find a good, qualified coach and take a lesson. MOST slow speed among seniors, or anyone else for that matter, is a result of bad timing. I can be corrected. Stop looking for the right ball, or the right layout, and learn to use gravity to get you some ball speed.