Holes need to be at least 1" away from pin

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Holes need to be at least 1" away from pin

Post by VLe »

I know that some manufacturers have had this type of rule earlier.

Now I have also heard that one our country's importer of bowling balls have sent an information letter saying that there need to be at least 1" space between the pin and nearest hole in order to avoid ball warranties in the future.

How the hell are you able to drill bowling balls accurately with such rule? Most of the layouts will place the pin closer than that. Why cant the manufacturers develope for example a manufacturing process where the pin is not in the surface to avoid this type of nonsence?

For me it would be easiest way to drill the pin away in most of the time, but if I want to use a lot of pitch in the hole would there be any risks that it could cause come cracking too? I know that the pin itself could crack when drilling on it.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Holes need to be at least 1" away from pin

Post by snick »

I think the 1" rule helps to avoid intersecting the pin below the surface.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

If the pin is less than 1" from the hole just drill it out, the VAL angle difference is negligible compared to the tuning you can do with surface and balance holes.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20

Post by VLe »

TonyPR wrote:If the pin is less than 1" from the hole just drill it out, the VAL angle difference is negligible compared to the tuning you can do with surface and balance holes.
Yes, drilling the pin out is a way to do it. Still you have to compensate the layout with surface modifications. While there is no problem doing this and you'll have to fine tune the reaction anyway with the surface modifications the pin is still a "weak spot" on the ball design.

I could say that where I bowl I have never seen anyone to have a ball with the pin drilled out. Not that I've tried to find one but it just havent caught my eye. Even most of the drilling suggestions provided by manufacturers dont suggest you to drill the pin away and they even show examples where the holes are clearly closer than 1" from pin.

Im just wondering why there is no ball manufacturer that have developed a manufacturing process where the pin is not a problem like it is now. Shouldnt be too hard.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

I suspect the 11 inch rule was devised by some lawyer working for the ball company. The job of the lawyer is to protect the ball maker, not necessarily the bowler or pro shop operaator.