Oval thumb

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafiki50289
Preferred Company: Storm

Oval thumb

Post by Rafiki50289 »

I have an original ovalmatic jig and I don't know how to drill oval thumbs yet and I cannot find any instructions on the internet anywhere. Also I do not have digitals so I will have to be doing it by fractions. Can anyone help me with this process please?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Oval thumb

Post by elgavachon »

Rafiki50289 wrote:I have an original ovalmatic jig and I don't know how to drill oval thumbs yet and I cannot find any instructions on the internet anywhere. Also I do not have digitals so I will have to be doing it by fractions. Can anyone help me with this process please?
There is a program called Ovalator program for drilled ovals..developed by 2y2. P.M. him if it does not download. you can find it in the wiki under fitting/Proshop. My computer would not download it to send you the link.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

elgavachon wrote: There is a program called Ovalator program for drilled ovals..developed by 2y2. P.M. him if it does not download. you can find it in the wiki under fitting/Proshop. My computer would not download it to send you the link.
http://ovalator.bowlingchat.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Rafiki50289 wrote:I have an original ovalmatic jig and I don't know how to drill oval thumbs yet and I cannot find any instructions on the internet anywhere. Also I do not have digitals so I will have to be doing it by fractions. Can anyone help me with this process please?
On the old Ovalmatics, drill the fingers first, then leave the ball locked in the cradle after drilling thumb. Release the protractor clamp handles and rotate the ball jig to the degree desired and lock down the rotating plate clamps, loosen both the cradle locks and x-y table slides and move ball pitches with the handles until the drill bit is centered and moves up and down freely in the thumb hole. Lock the cradles and side pitch clamp. You now should be ready to drill the oval by using the for/rev pitch table to move the ball into position. (if my failing memory is working, I haven't drilled a ball in several years)

Warning, using a M/T2-3 type drill press to drill oval may cause chuck to fall out (or worse) of press head.

(edit was to add cradle lock info, feeble mind syndrome)