Span ball fit question

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

PBA22035
Preferred Company: Storm

Span ball fit question

Post by PBA22035 »

I'm working on doing a refit of my own hand, after many years of what would be considered a stretch span.

Looking at the fitting guides on the Wiki, I have a few small questions about the modern fit.

Doing my own refit, by the Mo Rich Fitting system I come up with.

4 1/8 x 4 1/8 on the span as very relaxed, and 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 as just relaxed. The laterals would be in the A category at 3/8 and 1/2

The thumb angle conversion at average of 120 degrees thus making the thumb pitch 0 or 1/16 forward depending on how relaxed I want the span.

My question now comes with the linear finger pitches. At 0 they would be 1/4 Forward and at 1/16F it would be 5/16th Forward in the fingers.

It's always been my understanding that using that much forward in the fingers would create excessive grab, or hitting up on the ball. Has this changed? I've looked at the charts and there is alot of Forward in the fingers with smaller spans. I thought most bowlers were going with Reverse in the fingers to help get the ball cleaner off their hand?

Can somebody explain the benifits of Forward in the fingers, and why or why not it does not promote up hit or grab.
Nsane
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/16 - 7/8 up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13°
Axis Rotation: 55°
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Tenacity, Radical Tremendous
Medium Oil Ball: Guru mighty,
Light Oil Ball: Motiv venom cobra
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Span ball fit question

Post by Nsane »

Hi,
I try to answer so far I can.

The Fingerpitch is always in relation to the Thumbpitch and this is relativ to the Span. That make Sense. The longer the Span the more you have to follow the roundness of the Ball what makes the Pitch more "open" to get a relaxed feeling and quick release.

I have an articel about this with explaining Pictures on my Website http://bowlingtrainer.topschi.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . It is in german, but you can use the installed Googletranslation.

Hope it is a bit helpful. Mo will help better and correct me if needed!!

by the way: Mo was the labyrinth the first Morichball? I own one since last week!
Ducati what else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice people press +
thor849

Re: Span ball fit question

Post by thor849 »

Yeah the chart does show a lot of forward finger which scared the heck out of me at first. I'm not sure of the scientific or mathematical explaination for the forward, but I do know to trust it. I have successfully fit about a dozen guys following the wiki guide and every one of them has seen major improvements in ball roll, tilt, rotation, and pin carry. I'm sure Mo will give the math/science answer, but I'm inclined to believe that the forward pitch is essentially to reduce grip pressure; which in turn softens the hand at release point.
Member of Lordfield Pro Shop Staff