Question about Kegel Lane machine

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

bowlingforsoup
Preferred Company: any

Question about Kegel Lane machine

Post by bowlingforsoup »

I have a question curious if someone can answer.How many units of oil is 2 loads from the kegel machine.Curious because we have the 3 unit rule across the lane side to side.Which in my opinion with todays balls is not nearly enough should be at least 6 units.That rule was in effect during urethane days.Asking because most of the Kegel recreation patterns have 2 loads from 2 to 2 to start out.Place we bowl has nothing from 6 on the right and 4 on the left.You can visually see there's nothing there.You can drag your finger across the dry boards and there is nothing there.A few of us complain to the association president and he will do nothing about it.Since the Kegel machine has patterns that are legel I am stumped why they will not use them.They say its a modified shot.Its modified alright Illegal.Just wished USBC was like the old ABC.They would make them comply.Any idea how many loads equal 3 units.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Question about Kegel Lane machine

Post by bowl1820 »

bowlingforsoup wrote:I have a question curious if someone can answer.How many units of oil is 2 loads from the kegel machine.
A "Load" is just what they call one pass of the oiling head and how much oil there is per load is set by the operator. So you'd have to know how oil was set per load.

A "Unit of oil" is just a measurement of of how deep or thick a layer of oil is on the lane.

(A "unit" of oil was defined by the American Bowling Congress (ABC) and Women's International Bowling
Congress (WIBC) as 0.0167 cubic centimeters of oil evenly spread over a 1 sq. ft. surface, which equates to a film of oil about 7 millionths of an inch thick.)

Place we bowl has nothing from 6 on the right and 4 on the left.You can visually see there's nothing there.You can drag your finger across the dry boards and there is nothing there.
That almost sounds like the ends of the buffer brush might be burned up and needs to be replaced.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
bowlingforsoup
Preferred Company: any

Re: Question about Kegel Lane machine

Post by bowlingforsoup »

You are probably right.They don't understand the Kegel machine require lots of maintenance.Its really a tough place to bowl.Not only is 6 on the right scorched its 38ft on top of that.Guys that are 18+ mph bowl good.Older low speed guys struggle with weak stuff.