Thumb problems (once again)

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

TheLeftSide

Thumb problems (once again)

Post by TheLeftSide »

Hello all,

I previously posted over a year ago and I had some changes made with new pitches. I was having thumb issues and still am after a long series of events. Ironically I just had my best season last year and even went out to a few regionals (disaster lol), but now I'm going back downhill again. My question is, have any of you seen people deviate from these fitting charts and coke can tests (I mean by a lot)? My thumb is flexible according to most PSOs and they always want to pitch me forward and under palm. I get a lot of damage on my thumb with a bruised thumb nail (center) and a blood blister where the nail ends going towards the knuckle. I know it would seem strange but could changing my thumb pitch away from palm with reverse be a solution here? I'm left handed with a medium rev rate probably in the 320-350 range but it has been hard for me to get a clean release for the past few months. Recent pitches that I've thrown are 1/4 under palm with 1/16 reverse which took me a while to get used to and eventually I went to 0 lateral and 0 reverse, this is what I'm using currently. I've been reluctant to use tape over the years but I have given in and started using it, problem is I feel like I hang up worse in the ball with tape and when I try to relax my thumb I end up dropping the ball. It's really a mess. I'm cautious about even trying to follow through sometimes because I have a fear of hanging up in the ball. For anyone curious my span is about 4 3/8 and according to the fit tests I've seen my hand calls for 1/4 under palm and 0, 1/8, or 1/16 reverse depending on how flexible I am. I've tested all of these pitches in the past. I'm looking for something outside of the box. My thumb does sweat and I use a hada patch on the back. There is a ball demonstration tomorrow where Mo will be present but I'm not really sure if he would be willing to look at me without me making a purchase. Any advice is appreciated. I tried to cram whatever information that I felt could be relevant here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Thumb problems (once again)

Post by MegaMav »

TheLeftSide wrote:Hello all,

I previously posted over a year ago and I had some changes made with new pitches. I was having thumb issues and still am after a long series of events. Ironically I just had my best season last year and even went out to a few regionals (disaster lol), but now I'm going back downhill again. My question is, have any of you seen people deviate from these fitting charts and coke can tests (I mean by a lot)? My thumb is flexible according to most PSOs and they always want to pitch me forward and under palm. I get a lot of damage on my thumb with a bruised thumb nail (center) and a blood blister where the nail ends going towards the knuckle. I know it would seem strange but could changing my thumb pitch away from palm with reverse be a solution here? I'm left handed with a medium rev rate probably in the 320-350 range but it has been hard for me to get a clean release for the past few months. Recent pitches that I've thrown are 1/4 under palm with 1/16 reverse which took me a while to get used to and eventually I went to 0 lateral and 0 reverse, this is what I'm using currently. I've been reluctant to use tape over the years but I have given in and started using it, problem is I feel like I hang up worse in the ball with tape and when I try to relax my thumb I end up dropping the ball. It's really a mess. I'm cautious about even trying to follow through sometimes because I have a fear of hanging up in the ball. For anyone curious my span is about 4 3/8 and according to the fit tests I've seen my hand calls for 1/4 under palm and 0, 1/8, or 1/16 reverse depending on how flexible I am. I've tested all of these pitches in the past. I'm looking for something outside of the box. My thumb does sweat and I use a hada patch on the back. There is a ball demonstration tomorrow where Mo will be present but I'm not really sure if he would be willing to look at me without me making a purchase. Any advice is appreciated. I tried to cram whatever information that I felt could be relevant here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Oh! You're going to Philly.
Go see Vince Mazzanti, modern fitter, he'll take care of you.
Also, make it a point to Mo that you're having fit problems, he is tops in fitting.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

If Mo will evaluate your grip if you make a purchase... then make a purchase... I wish I had that chance.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by VLe »

Just for curiosity. What kind of tapes have you used in the thumbhole?
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
TheLeftSide

Post by TheLeftSide »

White and black tapes at different times. I used the one inch tape initially then switched to 3/4 inch white but it always felt like my thumb would hang. Mo told me the first issue was having the tape too high in the thumb hole which was catching on a bump/callus that I have at the base of my thumb. The other issue was not enough bevel on one side of my thumb where I have another callus. All of this was causing me to hang up in the ball and cause damage by clipping my nail at the release point. So far everything feels much better. I've had damage on my thumb even prior to using tape so I'm thinking maybe I could have used some bevel in a couple areas. Taking it slow for now. Felt nice to just follow through without worrying.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

I have a sweaty thumb too, what I do and many would say is not ok but works is to tape all four sides of my thumb, I will post photos on how to do this later. Have you tried a tapered oval, the trick is to get it tight enough so you don't have to squeeze, currently I like using 1 or 2 pieces of white tape in the back of the hole with hada tape on all 4 sides of the thumb. The white tape in the back helps the ball stay on my hand in the backswing without grabbing. Start with the pitches Mo recommended and if you see you need too much tape in the hole in order not to drop the ball go 1/8" more forward or 1/8" less reverse in the thumb. The pain at the base of the nail may be a too tight thumb hole.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
TheLeftSide

Post by TheLeftSide »

Taping the whole thumb seems interesting and it would make sense with the way you described it. I've noticed Ryan Ciminelli taping both sides of his thumb but he told me it was only to avoid any damage, not for the release. At this point I'm still at 0,0 for my pitches. I bowl in a league where we switch pairs after two games. I struggled my first two and when we went to the last pair against the wall and near a door (it was cold) I went 269, 257. It's just crazy how critical my thumb is to my game. Kind of annoying too lol.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

I may have already mentioned this, but Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet has been very helpful in getting me a clean release. Go to his web site

bowl4fun.com

where you can read about the MC and decide if you want to try one. If you do, call him at the phone number on his web site and he'll probably send you one at no charge to try, that's how he gets us hooked. -- JohnP
Justav11
Preferred Company: All

Post by Justav11 »

I'm having major issues also with my thumb,,,can't relax it,,I'm grabbing,,,, haven't tried tape yet,,,any suggestions?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Justav11 read my reply here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

TonyPR wrote:I have a sweaty thumb too, what I do and many would say is not ok but works is to tape all four sides of my thumb, I will post photos on how to do this later. Have you tried a tapered oval, the trick is to get it tight enough so you don't have to squeeze, currently I like using 1 or 2 pieces of white tape in the back of the hole with hada tape on all 4 sides of the thumb. The white tape in the back helps the ball stay on my hand in the backswing without grabbing. Start with the pitches Mo recommended and if you see you need too much tape in the hole in order not to drop the ball go 1/8" more forward or 1/8" less reverse in the thumb. The pain at the base of the nail may be a too tight thumb hole.
Hi,

Do you have the pictures of how you tape your thumb?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

I will post them as soon as I can. I don’t use my thumb anymore but I will tape it and take photos so you can see. I liked to use Vise TT25 beige tape, very good quality product.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

TonyPR wrote:I will post them as soon as I can. I don’t use my thumb anymore but I will tape it and take photos so you can see. I liked to use Vise TT25 beige tape, very good quality product.
Thanks! Currently, I have a roll of Hammer tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Tough-Gri ... wling+tape
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

TonyPR wrote:I will post them as soon as I can. I don’t use my thumb anymore but I will tape it and take photos so you can see. I liked to use Vise TT25 beige tape, very good quality product.
Hi Tony,

You ever had a chance to provide those pictures?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

I keep forgetting, thanks for reminding me
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
soupy1957
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by soupy1957 »

Seems like, messing with the thumb hole, was the most common adjustment I faced, back in the eighties, and is now still the issue. Just had the holes “tweaked” again yesterday!!
“Perfection is only a delusion; a lack of personality!” - sdc
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Be sure you're not "knuckling" your thumb - bending it at the first joint to grip it with the tip. Keep it as straight as possible and apply any pressure with the base, not the tip. -- JohnP